Bullhead Update

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

I am still lacking a camera, but the bullhead (not definite of his exact species) killier sent me has shot up from his original 3 or so inches to nearly 5 inches in a short period. He spends a lot of time wedged behind the filter and lying on the plants and of course, eating like he may never eat again. I am kind of worried, though. He has white spots on his face, are these natural? He also has white chin barbels, is this bad?

#2 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

He has white spots on his face, are these natural? He also has white chin barbels, is this bad?

White spots on the face are probably ok. My black bullhead has them too, I think they are additional sensory pits like those found in the lateral line (mine also has similar looking but much larger white spots along the lateral line). White chin barbels however means you have a yellow bullhead. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether or not that is bad. :smile2:

#3 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

White spots on the face are probably ok. My black bullhead has them too, I think they are additional sensory pits like those found in the lateral line (mine also has similar looking but much larger white spots along the lateral line). White chin barbels however means you have a yellow bullhead. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether or not that is bad. :smile2:

I think that is cool, most bullheads make great community fish, as long as nobody has long flowing fins or is small enough to fit in their mouth.

#4 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:48 PM

I think that is cool, most bullheads make great community fish, as long as nobody has long flowing fins or is small enough to fit in their mouth.

I've only seen videos of these fish and, boy, are they awesome! They have a lot of personality from what I've seen. I'm gonna be loking to get one this spring.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

That's an interesting statement considering the popularity of shiners and darters... many, many fish will fit in a bullheads mouth... after all we are talking about a fish that will get to be 6 inches in the first year or so and go on up to 9-12 inches...

I agree that if you have bigger sunfish or maybe something like larger creek chubs you can have somewhat a community tank with bullheads... but it can be tricky since bullheads grow relatively quickly compared to may ofther fish.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

That's an interesting statement considering the popularity of shiners and darters... many, many fish will fit in a bullheads mouth... after all we are talking about a fish that will get to be 6 inches in the first year or so and go on up to 9-12 inches...

I agree that if you have bigger sunfish or maybe something like larger creek chubs you can have somewhat a community tank with bullheads... but it can be tricky since bullheads grow relatively quickly compared to may ofther fish.

My little guy came to me because he was harassing tankmates, maybe if killier comes here he can remember the whole story, cuz' I'm an idiot :rolleyes: . Anyway, he started in at a little more than three inches and is now four and a half inches long, but every roommate he has is WAY too big for him to get in there, the smallest fish in there besides him is the p-seed, and he is almost the same size. So no worries for now. I have friends with bullheads in with all sorts of fish, Jack Dempseys, Oscars, Jaguar Cichlids, Pike Cichlids, Arowanas, Stingrays, Peacock Bass, and stuff like that, and as long as nobody gets big enough to eat the other guys, it is a peaceful communtiy tank. Well, as peaceful as a tank full of sharp teethed fish can be. :fishy:

Edited by catfish_hunter, 03 January 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

My little guy came to me because he was harassing tankmates, maybe if killier comes here he can remember the whole story, cuz' I'm an idiot :rolleyes: . Anyway, he started in at a little more than three inches and is now four and a half inches long, but every roommate he has is WAY too big for him to get in there, the smallest fish in there besides him is the p-seed, and he is almost the same size. So no worries for now. I have friends with bullheads in with all sorts of fish, Jack Dempseys, Oscars, Jaguar Cichlids, Pike Cichlids, Arowanas, Stingrays, Peacock Bass, and stuff like that, and as long as nobody gets big enough to eat the other guys, it is a peaceful communtiy tank. Well, as peaceful as a tank full of sharp teethed fish can be. :fishy:

Yeah, I guess is just is all about expectations... when I hear "community" I think of a bunch of shiners and such... you say "all sorts of fish" and name a bunch of what I would call "big" fish... so it is all jsut perspective and language... but I do agree that bullheads to not pester or pick at their tank mates... they are calm during the day and focus on their food when it is available... so good tank fish, just takes a bigger tank and bigger roommates.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users