Other types of food

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_InSeiner_*

Guest_InSeiner_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:38 PM

I have a 40 gal. stream tank and my fish really don't seem to like the brine shrimp and blood worms I feed them. I was just wondering what other types of food I can feed them, that they would like. These are the fish I have in my tank:
Darters
Fantail
Greenside
Banded
Rainbow
Orange Throat
Blue Breast

Dace
Southern Red Belly
Redside

Shiner
Spotfin

Minnow
Central Mud
Silverjaw

Other
Tadpole Madtom
Whiptail Cat
Striped Rafael Cat

Thanks ](*,)

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

Just a suggestion. Try finely chopped market shrimp. I have or had just about all the same fishes you've listed. They all seemed to prefer this over other foods. The only trick is getting them to eat some of the other foods to balance their diet.

I'm sure many other things will work as well but I can pick these up at any grocery store and the cost isn't bad compared to prepared frozen foods for fish.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:03 PM

Mix finely chopped market shrimp in with frozen bloodworms in a cup and then disperse. They will start taking the shrimp and you'll save mucho money on feeding. Minnow types will take earthworm flakes and veggie flakes which you can get from Avid Aquatics.

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

I honestly should have mentioned Avid. Not so much to promote his food but just to be honest. I only feed my fish frozen shrimp once in a while since I have the freeze dried earthworms and F/W shrimp. Saves time and less shrimpy fingers.

#5 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:03 PM

It's surprising that your fish don't care for blood worms. I don't believe I have ever seen a fish that didn't take bloodworms, as long as they were moving. I would suggest live black/white/grindal worms, daphnia or mosquito larvae. Some of your fish, especially your darters, may be used to hunting their foods and should react well to stimulus provided by the movement.

I also use Avid Aquatics freeze dried product and have had good success. Most of the minnows should take flake and/or small pellets with no problem.

#6 Guest_mshi_*

Guest_mshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

To get the shrimp chopped real small try using a cheese grater on frozen shrimp. You can use the different sides to get the size you need.

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

To get the shrimp chopped real small try using a cheese grater on frozen shrimp. You can use the different sides to get the size you need.

Duh! why didn't I think of that?

#8 Guest_frog&cichlid_ chica_*

Guest_frog&cichlid_ chica_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

You could also use a food processor to chop up the shrimp ... ask your wife or girlfriend if you don't know what this is.

It has a pulse function that will allow you to chop up the food in a few seconds to how small you want.

.... just an idea!

:mrgreen:

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

I like to distract some of the more aggressive feeding minnow species with some crumbled F/D tubifex, flakes, or hikari micro pellets before I pour in my frozen foods right into the powerhead stream. The hikari mysis shrimp get devoured in my tanks. I usually buy a container of panfish/trout worms from walmart once every other month too. There are a ton in there, I think at least two dozen but probably three or four. They are a big hit with the larger darters and one pretty big stonecat.

#10 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:24 PM

Oh snaps, inseiner made his debut post. =D>

#11 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:23 AM

Seems hard to believe that those fish will not eat frozen brine shrime/blood worms. I keep Tennessee snubnose, rainbow, and cold water darters and they eat most anything I throw in the water including the afformenioned and also even flake food. Don't know about the other fish you have but I would think they would eat brine shrimp with no problem. What do you have a breed of finicky eaters or something? Maybe Live Blood worms. I do not remember if you mentioned that one or not but I cant see any fish declining that gormet food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users