Why haven't more list server people come over?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

Any thoughts as to why more email list contributors have not come over or do not post here? I remeber saying something about a message board about two years ago and personally I think this was one of the best things that has happened since I've been a member. It allows me to read what I want, not have a cluttered email, not sift through a digets email, contact members directly a little easier, post pictures with my responses, etc. etc. In general, or its not working, I don't get many if any emails from the list server any more....

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

The listserve is working. From the feedback I've received, some of the people on the list are old school and don't like anything new. They like that they receive new messages in their mailbox and don't have to go anywhere to see them. IMO, they are missing out. This forum is far superior to the email list for the reasons you mentioned.

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

I have tried looking at the e-mail list in the past and found it very difficult to even find old topics that I was interested in reading so I gave up on it. I am very glad this is here it is much easier to use, and I think offers so much more. Maybe someone who uses both should continually encourage some of the longtime e-mail listers to switch over. It seems like it would be best if we could get everyone up to speed and all on one page so to speak. I'm sure someone won't like me saying it but maybe do away with the e-mail list eventually.

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

I have been trying to, along with others, get people to make the move. I think we are getting new people every day. They just prefer to amble in a little at a time. Drewish is right that there are those that prefer the e-mail list from one reason or another, so I do not believe it will ever totally go away. I would like to see more of the vigorous conversation that used to be commonplace on the e-mail list moved over this way and I think it will eventually.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

Technophobia. Seems odd when they are, after all, using a computer.

#6 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

Matt, find your answer? :lol:

#7 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:49 AM

I'm not sure we want ALL of that "vigorous conversation"! :) T'would be a shame to lose a lot of the "old timers" though. Hey wait, am I one of those? 8-[ I guess I do like the topic segregation here, but I also don't read a lot of what's here, just because I'm not forced to to cull through it. :mrgreen: - Hey, what's this green face mean?! We never had THAT on the old list! These new fangled, whipper snapper, techno heads! Humpf!

Here's a pretty picture I took today. Malibu Creek/Canyon. Earlier this week, just down the coast to the right, Suzanne Sommer's house burned down. They think someone pitched a cigarette out their car window. That really burns me up! :) Well, one less mansion cluttering up the beach :) No really, all my condolences to the Sommer'sss. Anyway, there are endangered southern steelhead in the creek, along with exotic green sunfish, carp, bullheads, bass, swamp crayfish, drunken movie stars. It's a mess!

Oh yeah, it was a cool hike to get to this spot hundreds of feet above the creek. Great view!

Attached Images

• Malibu01.jpg

#8 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:38 AM

You don't have to wade through all of the topics. On the upper right of the screen is a tab labeled "view new posts", just click that and it will list everything posted since you logged on last. Saves a great deal of time I assure you.

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:10 AM

You don't have to wade through all of the topics. On the upper right of the screen is a tab labeled "view new posts", just click that and it will list everything posted since you logged on last. Saves a great deal of time I assure you.

Yeah, I'm not sure everyone realizes that the "view new posts" button is the shortcut to navigating this forum. Then you can miss the blather about taxonomists, etc..........

#10 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:22 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure everyone realizes that the "view new posts" button is the shortcut to navigating this forum. Then you can miss the blather about taxonomists, etc..........

Yes, this is an overlooked feature of forums such as this. I really wish that such an easy option of sifting posts existed on E-mail.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users