Buffalo NY area collecting trip

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone in the Buffalo, NY area wants to get together for a winter collecting outing. Nothing real big, just something to get our collecting fix until spring! I dont mind traveling during nicer weather, but just figured if anyone was lose by let me know.

#2 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

Too far for me but reminds me of a trip to Niagra Falls I made years ago.
Standing on the walkway right at the lip of the falls, I noticed small fish, I'm pretty sure they were longnosed dace, that were hanging in the current a few feet from going over the falls. Wish I had a dip net, would have been a cool setting to collect, although I'm sure it's banned in the park. Just like sleeping in the park is banned :blush: .

#3 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:30 AM

Too far for me but reminds me of a trip to Niagra Falls I made years ago.
Standing on the walkway right at the lip of the falls, I noticed small fish, I'm pretty sure they were longnosed dace, that were hanging in the current a few feet from going over the falls. Wish I had a dip net, would have been a cool setting to collect, although I'm sure it's banned in the park. Just like sleeping in the park is banned :blush: .

I think I read the cataractae in the species name of the longnose dace refers to their presence at Niagra falls. I however wonder if any fish could survive BELOW the falls, now THAT would be a unique niche to adapt to and one hard to sample.

As for collecting in New York, another NY trips sounds interesting but I have doubts on mid winter collecting. How do you plan on doing it?

#4 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

This past summer a tagged musky in the upper Niagara River was recaptured below the falls in the lower river. The fish was close to 3-ft long and made the trip with no effects. It is likely that round gobies expanded their range in this manner as well.

#5 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

and they did it without a barrel!

#6 Guest_Radioguy_*

Guest_Radioguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

Yeah, but they've figured out a way to breathe underwater.

#7 Guest_hpboogers_*

Guest_hpboogers_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

I am completely new to this but would be interested in getting out in the future - I'm in the Rochester area.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users