Marketing Asian Carp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bpkeck_*

Guest_bpkeck_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Since this is a hot topic right now I thought I'd pass this along. It got my attention on NPR a couple weeks ago and now they put this up.

NPR silver carp

I've gotten to taste two species and both are really, really good fish; firm, flaky flesh that's pretty mild. I haven't seen any of the ways LA is going to regulate this fishery, but I would hope it's a take all approach. If anyone finds it I'd love to know. I wonder if this will be a good thing if it takes off, or could it cause more problems if agencies try to regulate it as a sustainable fishery?

Ben

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

I like the idea of promoting consumption of "silverfin". They are definantly edible and can be canned very well. Concerns I have are with by-catch and pollutants. Some species such as paddlefish, sturgeon, and catfishes will also be captured. Increased pressuure for the Asian carps may result on increased handling stress on already stressed natives. Changing of fishing methods may need to be made to control by-catch. I am reluctant to eat much of any species from our large rivers owing to the mix of pollutants that can work their way up the food chain.

#3 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

I like the idea of promoting consumption of "silverfin". They are definantly edible and can be canned very well. Concerns I have are with by-catch and pollutants. Some species such as paddlefish, sturgeon, and catfishes will also be captured. Increased pressuure for the Asian carps may result on increased handling stress on already stressed natives. Changing of fishing methods may need to be made to control by-catch. I am reluctant to eat much of any species from our large rivers owing to the mix of pollutants that can work their way up the food chain.

Posted Yesterday, 07:12 PM

Mike, on 07 February 2010 - 12:07 AM, said:

I read somewhere, someone wanted to make a rendering plant to use the fish.

Putting a bounty on them like the Northern Squawfish would help.

I watch viedos of people bow fishing for them, and it looks like fun, but then some of them, just through the dieing fish back into the water. What a waste, we caught some bighead carp, I smoked them & they were good. They should eat them or send them to a rendering company.

This is what Im talking about....not making a billion dollar industry with fisheries to save the exotics....just population control. The problem is already established and like the Northern Pikeminnows (squawfish) we need to controll it, tournaments target the species (Bass,crappie,catfish) and do no major direct damage to other species. Using these non-natives as food sources and for use in rendering plants (for fish pellets for my natives) is good idea if controlled; the fish from these tournaments could be collected instead of released for food (an Ozarkan fish fry) or production (rendering plant) and not cost the states and taxpayers a single cent! In areas too polluted to eat the fish (the Mississipi near St Louis) we could render the carp into cichlid pellets ( or just have good old fashioned tournaments and then render them into pig feed etc) this could be regulated so that only line and pole is used and so that only baits that carp mainly eat (we could also have the tournaments limited to areas like the Illinois river where in some areas 85% of the fish biomass is carp), stocking predators that will eat these carp will help also ( in the Mississipi Flathead and Alligator gar , In Great lakes Muskie and Walleye) instead of finding ways not to do things (like our government) we should find ways to at least try.....proper regulation and observation are the keys to a successfull program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users