best catfish for captivity

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NATHANFOUDRAY_*

Guest_NATHANFOUDRAY_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

right now i have 2 channel cats (temporary) in my large 110 gallon tank with oscars and i wanted to know some good catfish that wont outgrow that and wont get eaten? NATIVE PLZ

and i also was wondering if there were any native cats that stay under 8 "

#2 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

right now i have 2 channel cats (temporary) in my large 110 gallon tank with oscars and i wanted to know some good catfish that wont outgrow that and wont get eaten? NATIVE PLZ

and i also was wondering if there were any native cats that stay under 8 "

i like my stonecats they stay small eat well and do not bother the other fish.
here is some good reading.and welcome to the world of catfish.
these two sites are full of the best of info.

http://www.cnr.vt.ed...ctaluridae.html

http://www.planetcatfish.com/

#3 Guest_scotty_*

Guest_scotty_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

either yellow or brown bullhead would be a bit larger than stone cats but i really enjoy my yellow

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

Most native cats are madtoms (Noturus sp.) and most madtoms stay under 8". Many are only 3-4". The stonecat (N. flavus) is an exception, reaching up to a foot in length. Some southeastern bullheads, such as snail (Ameiurus brunneus), flat (A. platycephalus), and spotted (A. serracanthus) bullheads, are also relatively small, the first two staying under 12" long and the last only reaching 9".

I'm not sure any of those would be compatible with oscars. Madtoms don't care for tropical temps; I doubt the southern bullheads do either, despite their ranges, as they are riverine rather than pond or swamp fish. Only the largest individuals would be oscar-proof.

Some of the bigger, sturdier bullheads such as blacks, browns, or yellows would be better. These can all grow to over a foot in length, but stay well under two feet, and are robust fish too large to be eaten by an oscar of similar length and capable of defending themselves.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:10 PM

Bullheads grow quickly from a very small size up to the 6-8 inch range and then grow more slowly after that... so a bullhead of that size should be about what you want.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:53 AM

Bullheads that are big enough to stand alone against cichlids do fine. Channel catfish get way big but should get along with anything that doesn't fit in their steeltrap jaws.

#7 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:18 AM

Since non-natives were mentioned:

For rough, large cichlid or sunfish tanks I prefer this species:

http://www.planetcat...?species_id=121

They're the only synodontis with enough size and gusto to do well over the long-term IME.

I've kept them (a trio) with a breeding pair of Managuense, Texas cichlids, and adult red devils without issue. They have a tendency to "overeat" and get that big gut that protrudes...so I tended to feed the tank only ever other day or so.

Edited by Gene2308, 15 February 2010 - 07:19 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users