Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Can anyone ID the fish posted in this thread:

http://www.ncangler....html#post178257

Thanks

#2 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

I'm not really sure where the fish was caught but I would start by looking at Macrhybopsis if I caught that fish.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

Maybe a redhorse Moxostoma sp? Is it from the French Broad R in NC ? If so, we dont have any Macrhybopsis.

#4 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

The problem with Moxostoma would be position of the anal fin and mouth.
I'm with Uland. Macrhybopsis (storeriana) was the first thing that came to mind. But I know that those may not get very far into NC (I have only seen them in Tennessee R. drainages). So it is possibly not storeriana, but sure looks like Macrhybopsis.

#5 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

What about Hybognathus, the eastern silvery minnow?

Todd

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hard to say without knowing the size of the person's hands, but the fish looks pretty big- about 8" if the hands are the same size as mine. That would eliminate a lot of minnows. I can't tell if the fish has barbels or the characteristic dark smudges on the caudal fin of Macrhybopsis species.

#7 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

My vote is for Gerald's answer. Way too big to be a Macro or Hybog. I don't see anything odd about the mouth or fin positions. Compare it to a stack of photos at http://images.google...2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Cheers
Peter

Maybe a redhorse Moxostoma sp? Is it from the French Broad R in NC ? If so, we dont have any Macrhybopsis.

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

Nah, the anal fin is way too far forward. Look at those Google images and imagine folding the anal fin back. The tip would reach the caudal fin base or near enough. Redhorse have a most definitely inferior, protrusible mouth too, like a pleco.

#9 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:05 AM

Ok, after a closer look I guess I should retract my Moxo suggestion. :-) Maybe it is just an oversized minnow? Someone like Dave Neely would need to look at it.

Cheers
Peter

Nah, the anal fin is way too far forward. Look at those Google images and imagine folding the anal fin back. The tip would reach the caudal fin base or near enough. Redhorse have a most definitely inferior, protrusible mouth too, like a pleco.

#10 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

I went to the NCANGLER forum where Gambusia found that pic, and the guy who posted it (jtz1230) said:

"When the post came up about a mooneye, I did an image search cause I didn't know what they were. Also searched mooneye minnow and the picture I posted is what I found. Anyway whatever is in the pic, is definitely the minnows I saw."

So we don't where that fish pictured came from, in which case yes, it might be a Macrhybopsis. My middle finger is about 3" long, so if his is too, then the fish is slightly over 6" TL. I agree about the anal fin not looking right for a sucker, and Hybognathus has a smaller eye (at least the eastern one does) than that minnow.

#11 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

Dave Neely told me it is a Macrhybopsis storeriana.

Cheers
Peter

#12 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

Ah, that all makes sense then. We don't have a mysterious population of M. storeriana where they've never been found before, just a poster who used a photo that "looks like" the fish he caught.

#13 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:52 AM

Yep photo is definitely a silver chub, but who knows what the guy actually caught.

#14 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:46 AM

Thanks!

Yeah I was asking about the fish in the picture.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users