Is your aquarium therapeutic?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:26 AM

I have had a rough few months as some of you know. Well Monday I totaled my car on I-95 in the rain, almost lost my father during open heart surgery, and the list could go on. It's been like a streak of bad luck that won't let up. Anyway, when I just stare in to my aquarium it is like a drug. It is like everything is ok. I can forget about any recent problems, or better yet it slows me down and allows me to find solutions to some problems. If something is bothering me I'll do some maintanance on it. My tank plays a big part in my life. Wondering if it was just me or are there others out there like me. I LOVE MY AQUARIUM!!!

#2 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:42 AM

ill stare at it for 10 minutes straight if i want to :cool2:

#3 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:04 AM

I agree after a long, hard day. Staring at my pumpkinseed or chub helps me relax.

#4 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:59 AM

I would agree. It can be incredibly wonderful just to stop and watch. However, when there are problems in the tank...stress reducer to stress inducer in seconds.

#5 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

I know exactly what you mean. A friend stopped by last night. He was looking at my tanks and commenting on what a great stress reliever they were. Although I agreed I was thinking "I need to do a water change on that one. Oh the glass needs cleaned. Man, those plants are out of control." I actually enjoy the maintenance. It's just difficult to find enough time sometimes. My favorite time is right after I finish maintenance and sit down and relax and really enjoy my tanks.

#6 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:57 PM

I agree. Sometimes it seems like my aquariums are the only thing in my life I have control over. I totally lose track of time watching the fish. People comment on how much work they must be, and I tell them I wouldn't have so many if I didn't enjoy taking care of them. I have one problem, though. When I'm doing maintenance sometimes I'll sit down and start watching and forget to do any work!

#7 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:15 PM

a big YES IT IS!
i love my tanks. but i must say it is also a learning thing today
i awoke to see my pickerel dead and half skinned.
i think it was the creekchub as he is the only tank mate that big.
well you have to take the good with the bad.i just wonder why
it was today after 10 months together.

#8 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

Oh yes! My green sunny provided me with relaxation while studying for tests. I could stare at him for almost an hour.

#9 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

a big YES IT IS!
i love my tanks. but i must say it is also a learning thing today
i awoke to see my pickerel dead and half skinned.
i think it was the creekchub as he is the only tank mate that big.
well you have to take the good with the bad.i just wonder why
it was today after 10 months together.

Wow.....sorry to hear that, I didnt realize creekchubs were so violent.

#10 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

Wow.....sorry to hear that, I didnt realize creekchubs were so violent.

I wish my tank was more relaxing, my dollar sunfish bullying everyone in my 55 has sort of the opposite effect.

#11 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

My mudminnows while quite violent, have the opposite effect. I have 1 that is huge and dominates the front of the tank. The alpha is now doing this thing where he opens his mouth real wide and slowly charges the beta male in the tank. No one seems to suffer any injury and I find it hilarious watching them duke it out.

#12 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:09 AM

I enjoy working with my hands and find the maintenance relaxing as well.

I also enjoy restoring and overhauling bicycles for the same reason...so the two are my own personal "meditation".

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users