fishless cycling question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dan Johnson_*

Guest_Dan Johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

I would prefer to do fishless cycling using a daily dose of ammonia similar to the amount fish emit on a daily basis. What would be a appropriate daily dose of ammonia in terms of ppm? I've done the cycling recently with larger more infrequent doses mixed with testing, but I've found that strategy to be less than pleasing. Thanks in advance.

#2 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

I haven't read through them to see if they answer your question directly, but there have been a number of threads in the past on fishless cycling that might provide some good info: http://www.google.co...fa.org&filter=0

FYI, I often find I get the results I'm looking for more quickly with a Google search specific to the Forum than the Forum's own search. Plus, you can post links to Google searches -- can't do so with Forum searches.

Cheers, Jase

Edited by jase, 04 February 2010 - 09:08 AM.

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

I have preformed fish-less cycles on several tanks

I usually add ammonia until i get 4-5 ppm
test every week until nitrites show up

when your nitrites start to spike you generally have to test and dose daily,
I test the water prior to dosing, then adjust the tank back to 4-5 ppm
typically before your nitrite starts to drop - it will convert the ammonia to nitrite in less than 24 hours,
(many people recommend doing at least one heavy water change at this point, something about potential ph crash, subject to local water chemistry)

when the tank can completely cycle 4 - 5 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours you are done, the tank can be heavily stocked
over the next two weeks frequent water changes should be done as your bacteria colony shrinks to fit your stocking level

It has taken anywhere from 3 - 6 weeks to cycle a tank
adding seeded filter media and seeded substrate will speed up the cycle drasticly
adding gravel and sand from a stream or creek will also speed the cycle up

#4 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:04 AM

Save your urine in jars by the bed and you'll have plenty to cycle your tank!

This is a "green" way of cycling, falling under the "personal nitrogen reclamation" banner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users