ideal tank size

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

I plan on upgrading my tank size (if I can ever save aside money for it) and wonder what the ideal upgrade for my 55 would be.

I am thinking of getting a 90 or 120 for my 5 inches or larger fish (rock bass, fat sleeper, yellow perch, 2 common shiners, fallfish), as well as my 3 bullheads.

Meanwhile I will use my 55 for my smaller shiners, log perch, and my fish currently in my darter and killie tank.

What would be the ideal size for a new big fish tank (especially as I plan on adding a couple new sunfish to it).

#2 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:29 PM

The bullheads may grow to 15" each so you need 45 gallons there. I would look at the max size of each individual fish and consider 1-1.5 gallons per inch of fish. 1 if you have a lot of filtration (bio) for their high bio load and 1.5 if you have just sufficient enough bio-filtration. Sounds to me like you need to go 120 or higher.

#3 Guest_rickwrench_*

Guest_rickwrench_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

Budget issues aside, the biggest tank I can reach into without needing a snorkel is my practical boundary. 24" deep is fine, 30" deep is a pita to work on.
Rick

#4 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

I went from 55 gallon to 125 gallon in 2006 and still wanted more ;). That 240 was my favorite tank size.

Not anymore though here in the city. I just run the 20L. I don't think I'll ever move another 125 gallon tank without paying someone to do it.

#5 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:37 AM

I don't think I'll ever move another 125 gallon tank without paying someone to do it.

One other guy and I carried my 200g tank about 150 feet from driveway to house, with my girlfriend slipping a sawhorse under the middle for several breaks along the way. Then had to turn it on end in order to get it through the door. Quite a frightening experience. On the list of heavy things I'd rather not drop on myself while carrying them, an aquarium is right up there.

#6 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

Budget issues aside, the biggest tank I can reach into without needing a snorkel is my practical boundary. 24" deep is fine, 30" deep is a pita to work on.
Rick

I agree with the depth issue I picked up a 150 gallon which was a whole lot heavier then a 125 gallon plus I can't reach the bottom without some tools, plants are tougher to grow ( I'm not much into expensive lights). 125 gallon tanks can easily be moved with two reasonably fit people and I can reach the bottom so they get my vote.

#7 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

I want a tank thats 24" tall, 36 " front to back, and 8 ft. long. Lots of room in the back for plants, mid area. and front for swimming fish, and landscaping. But you will have to take into consideration, that im the same guy that would like to win the lottery at least once :-({|=

#8 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

125 gallon tanks can easily be moved with two reasonably fit people and I can reach the bottom so they get my vote.

I run marathons and race locally (cycling) and still don't like having to move the big ones - unless you just mean unloading if from the back of a truck and moving into a level-ground place.

Try going up 3 flights of steps with one (125 gallon), where the tank exceeds the L and W of the steps and get back to me - this is an oceanic too, I should note.

It sucks, big time. My back aches thinking about it. :smile2:

#9 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

I want a tank thats 24" tall, 36 " front to back, and 8 ft. long. Lots of room in the back for plants, mid area. and front for swimming fish, and landscaping. But you will have to take into consideration, that im the same guy that would like to win the lottery at least once :-({|=

Glass Cages will build you one like that for $1575, and bring it to Indianapolis for another $210. You didn't really need that retirement fund, right?

#10 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:53 AM

I run marathons and race locally (cycling) and still don't like having to move the big ones - unless you just mean unloading if from the back of a truck and moving into a level-ground place.

Try going up 3 flights of steps with one (125 gallon), where the tank exceeds the L and W of the steps and get back to me - this is an oceanic too, I should note.

It sucks, big time. My back aches thinking about it. Posted Image

That does sound difficult so in that case I'd remove the gravel and water first Posted Image
But seriously, yeah I was referring to a less restictive area and less stair flights. But even so compared to 150 and larger tanks its at least doable with a decent refrigerator dolly.

#11 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:14 AM

But even so compared to 150 and larger tanks its at least doable with a decent refrigerator dolly.

To hell with a 150 man - that glass is thicker isn't it?

I'm past the time in life where I'll run up and volunteer to move something like that. Someone else can do it ;).

#12 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:08 AM

To hell with a 150 man - that glass is thicker isn't it?

I'm past the time in life where I'll run up and volunteer to move something like that. Someone else can do it Posted Image.

After moving one twice I have to agree. The glass is thicker which I didn't think about when I showed up to get mine with one friend. We couldn't even budge it. Had to go rent a dolly and the previous owner helped. We barely got the thing tipped on end, onto the dolly and up a small flight of stairs across a back yard and into my minivan. At home I got three guys to help and it was tough even so.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users