Black stuff on plants

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:55 PM

Hi guys...I often see certain LFS selling plants and they have these dark patchy stuff all over the leaves...whats is that stuff? like the leaves get dark blotchy stuff all over...makes me just not wanna get any plants from them...just wondering what is it...and if mean unhealthy dying plants?

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

Is the black stuff fluffy? If it is, it might be black brush algae (which is actually a red algae, but it looks black). It is very tenaceous stuff. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger! Don't buy plants from a tank with it. I have been able to treat it with peroxide, but would rather avoid getting it in the first place. Also, I haven't found an animal that will eat it.

#3 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

No it doesn't seem fluffy to me at all...just that its on the surface of the plant...like on the leaves...its like they have pigment problem or something...anyway my nearest petco if notorious for that...with all the snails in that plant tank and the tank looks really yucky and dirty anyway...I saw it in another LFS too...next time I will take a pic of it...

#4 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:12 PM

I have some in one of my tanks and my mollies keep it knocked down.

#5 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:13 PM

No it doesn't seem fluffy to me at all...just that its on the surface of the plant...like on the leaves...its like they have pigment problem or something...anyway my nearest petco if notorious for that...with all the snails in that plant tank and the tank looks really yucky and dirty anyway...I saw it in another LFS too...next time I will take a pic of it...

Sounds like cyanobacteria to me. They probably have too many plant nutrients in the water and/or have the light on too long. But of course, pictures would be greatly appreciated.

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:37 PM

I agree that it could be cyanobacteria. Does it look a bit slimy, and does it look like it could be spreading? Thankfully, cyanobacteria is easily treated with peroxide or antibiotics. I prefer peroxide, as it will have reacted and will break down after a few hours.

#7 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:49 PM

You know what I was at wallyworld yesterday and I checked I think they are cyanobacteria...I looked closely and could see like algae stuff on the leaves...so how do you treat it with peroxide? remove plants and soak in water with peroxide?
Also...I have a tiny breeder tank by the window and some of the java moss has algae on it...will this turn into an algae outbreak and kill the java moss? I have since moved it away from the window...what is the remedy?

#8 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

I can't say this is the answer to your problem but you might want to pop in and take a look at this thread.

http://forum.nanfa.o...p?showtopic=887

#9 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:31 AM

Thank Teleost...reading that thread now...wow couldn't believe the fish survived the bleach though...anyway we got tons of snow now...5-6inches....anyone else got snow?

#10 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:00 AM

Bleach (clorox) wasn't used only H2O2. I assume this is what you meant..

Hydrogen peroxide is also used for emergency aeration on sick fish and during power outages. Naturally you must be very careful when adding anything to you tank (including water).

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

Using the 3% hydrogen peroxide that you buy at the pharmacy, the dosage would be 1 oz per 10 gallons. It works best if you use a syringe or turkey baster to aim the peroxide right on to the algae.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users