Feeding my eel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

Right now he's taking nightcrawlers and goldfish(1.5" I'd say). I think twice a week feedings should be ok(he's 20 inches), but how much food should I offer? Should I only offer so many he can eat within, say, 5 minutes?

#2 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:14 PM

Right now he's taking nightcrawlers and goldfish(1.5" I'd say). I think twice a week feedings should be ok(he's 20 inches), but how much food should I offer? Should I only offer so many he can eat within, say, 5 minutes?

Or should I offer one prey item about the same size as his girth like a snake?

#3 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

Basically feed it 'enough'. That food ends up back in the tank as waste so you don't want to overfeed. I would try to feed frozen market shrimp or other prepared diets from the pet store so it'll get more nutrients. Every 2-3 days is probably sufficient if the water temp is relatively low and it stays inactive most of the time.

#4 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

Basically feed it 'enough'. That food ends up back in the tank as waste so you don't want to overfeed. I would try to feed frozen market shrimp or other prepared diets from the pet store so it'll get more nutrients. Every 2-3 days is probably sufficient if the water temp is relatively low and it stays inactive most of the time.

A few days ago he was swimming around during the day time(I have video in the video gallery). I offered a nightcrawler that evening and he hasn't been out since. Well, he's been poking his head out of the sand but not actively hunting.

#5 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

Oh in regards to the feeder fish, are there any fish that breed easily in an unheated aquarium that would be nutritious?

#6 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:01 PM

I'd personally stay away from feeder fish. Raising feeder fish is expensive and not really worth it IMO.

#7 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

I'd personally stay away from feeder fish. Raising feeder fish is expensive and not really worth it IMO.

Very true. It's probably better offering fish as an occasional treat than as part of a staple diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users