New Dipnet Bag Depths

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:58 AM

We now offer our 16.5 inch Perfect Dipnet hoops with a choice of 6 inch, 7.5 inch or 10 inch deep netting bags while supplies last. All the net bags are black with durable 1/16" mesh. We may ultimately choose to stock only one of these depths depending on what is most popular. But while we have them, you have a choice of three depths. This applies to the 16.5" hoops only, not the 12" Mini Dippers. Also, we now have 6ft and 8ft, 1/8" mesh seines in stock: See Dipnets and Seines

Thanks for your continued patronage!

Happy dipping!

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

What was the standard depth before?

#3 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

What was the standard depth before?

When I first offered the black 1/16" mesh they were 12" deep. More recently I was selling 6" deep bags. Some people seem to want shallower bags, some seem to want deeper ones. Or maybe they just want something other than what is offered? :) Different bag depths are maybe better for different applications, but I don't think most people want to carry more than one dipnet with their gear. I'd like to settle on one good compromise. The disadvantage of a deep bag is that if you dip through debris or muck, which is common, you have a lot of digging to do to find the fish. Also it puts more strain on the net, because it's heavier when filled with muck. A shallower bag helps solve this, but may also allow more fish to escape.

#4 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

We now offer our 16.5 inch Perfect Dipnet hoops with a choice of 6 inch, 7.5 inch or 10 inch deep netting bags while supplies last. All the net bags are black with durable 1/16" mesh. We may ultimately choose to stock only one of these depths depending on what is most popular. But while we have them, you have a choice of three depths. This applies to the 16.5" hoops only, not the 12" Mini Dippers. Also, we now have 6ft and 8ft, 1/8" mesh seines in stock: See Dipnets and Seines

Thanks for your continued patronage!

Happy dipping!

Let me state for the record for anyone considering purchasing a dip net, these nets (what ever depth you choose) come very highly recommended. I went through quite a number of cheaper nets from places like Bass Pro Shops, etc...prior to my purchase from Jonah's, but once I bought one of their nets, I have not needed a replacement. They are very sturdy, well made, and just plain work well. (Mine has a collapsible handle with interchangeable heads.) Do not waste your money on an inferior net, as you will be needing to replace them frequently. The initial price is well worth it, as it will last many times longer than a cheaper version. I am 100% sold on these nets.

-Thom

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

I'm with Thom on this 100%. I've also tried to use other nets not specifically suited for sampling and really like both Jonah's and Cummings. I have two Cummings and will have two Jonah's nets once my 7.5" bag depth come in. Thanks Mark B and I'll report back with results once Mark H and I get to try these nets.

#6 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:23 PM

Hey, thanks guys for the unexpected and unsolicited testimonials! I do appreciate it!

#7 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

Mark, I'm trying to move to your nets exclusively but the metal handle isn't a bright idea for electroshocking. I can pretty easily make a wood handle and even machine an aluminum hex to fit but I didn't want to get terribly involved in the spring mechanism to lock the net in place. Do you have or know of a place that offers essentially the male portion of the spring head that I can adapt to a wood handle?

#8 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

Mark, I'm trying to move to your nets exclusively but the metal handle isn't a bright idea for electroshocking. I can pretty easily make a wood handle and even machine an aluminum hex to fit but I didn't want to get terribly involved in the spring mechanism to lock the net in place. Do you have or know of a place that offers essentially the male portion of the spring head that I can adapt to a wood handle?

Uh, yeah, I can make you a short piece of one-inch hex tube with the button installed. Just tell me how long you want the tube to be. I don't know what this will do to the strength of the handle. I'm thinking if you give yourself plenty of aluminum hex tube and run the wood as far into it as possible without hitting the button, you should be in pretty good shape. Then run some screws or bolts into the combo handle section so it doesn't come apart after some days of use. Wood is more brittle than aluminum tubing and heavier, so there are trade-offs in performance. Or, if you want to spend some money, there are fiberglass handles on the market, stronger but heavier. Ok, lets get crazy -- I've got this carbon fiber kayak paddle... :)

#9 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

Thanks Mark, I'll shoot you an email:smile2:

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

Ok, lets get crazy -- I've got this carbon fiber kayak paddle... :)

I know y'all are joking, but carbon fiber is conductive (the epoxy that holds it together wouldn't be of course, but the actual fiber would be).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

I know y'all are joking, but carbon fiber is conductive (the epoxy that holds it together wouldn't be of course, but the actual fiber would be).

Really. I didn't know that. Why is carbon fiber an electrical conductor?

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

Really. I didn't know that. Why is carbon fiber an electrical conductor?

Why is a hard question... but you know that graphite is a conductor as well? I mean you can conduct electricity through a regular pencil!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#13 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

I guess I remember using pencil lead as a conductor in one of those school science projects, but I wonder if it is an efficient conductor or more a resistor. How do you know about the electrical properties of carbon fiber? I'm totally ignorant about it, not that that should surprise anyone!

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

I guess I remember using pencil lead as a conductor in one of those school science projects, but I wonder if it is an efficient conductor or more a resistor. How do you know about the electrical properties of carbon fiber? I'm totally ignorant about it, not that that should surprise anyone!

Just something I picked up as an engineering student (been a long time since I was a student, but I still remember a few random and useless things like this). After you asked and I responded off the top of my head I thought I would look into it. Googled "carbon fiber conductivity" and got quite a few hits, including some that talk a lot about this for sail boat people, and several about lightning strikes on carbon fiber poles of different types.

#15 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

Carbon is often used as part of a generator to provide the wear surface where wires contact the spinning armature because of its lubricating properties and because it's relatively easy to replace compared to metal components and wears first since it's softer. It's quite a good conductor.

#16 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

Mark, I'm trying to move to your nets exclusively...

Yeah, me too, I love the perfect dipnet. The Cummings is good, but the perfect dipnet is better, IMHO. But Mark stopped selling seines, and i had to find another supplier. Will you be carring seines again, Mark? I need 4' x 4' Pennsylvania-legal nets, and also 4' x 8' for my trips out-of-state.

The shallower bags sound intriguing, I'll have to try one. I'm sure each depth will be good in specific circumstances.

#17 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

I've been meaning to report back on my new shallower 10" dipnet. It's everything we've come to expect from the perfect dipnet but it's just a bit 10" deep!
Great net Mark and thanks for making them available.

#18 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

Yeah, me too, I love the perfect dipnet. The Cummings is good, but the perfect dipnet is better, IMHO. But Mark stopped selling seines, and i had to find another supplier. Will you be carring seines again, Mark? I need 4' x 4' Pennsylvania-legal nets, and also 4' x 8' for my trips out-of-state.

He has seines, I bought a 4 x 4 and a 4 x 8 from him last year. They are great nets. He had to order the 4 x 4.

#19 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

He has seines, I bought a 4 x 4 and a 4 x 8 from him last year. They are great nets. He had to order the 4 x 4.

He used to have them listed, in both white and green. Then the listings disappeared. I assumed that meant they were no longer available. So what you're saying is, just ask. Thanks for the heads up.

#20 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:54 PM

So what you're saying is, just ask. Thanks for the heads up.

Yep, just ask. You're welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users