keeping other fish with elassoma?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

Just wondering if anyone successfully keeps other fish with their Elassoma?
I had some starhead topminnows with mine and they got their tails shredded by the pygmies!
I was thinking of keeping some least killies with them, but considering what happened to the larger starheads...

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

Did you see the pygmies doing the shredding? Fundulus species can be very rough on one another.

I had some banded pygmies and bluefin killies (Lucania goodei) together for a while. I never saw any aggression, but the pygmies seemed subdued and never tried to breed. Whether this was due to tankmates or some other factor I couldn't say.

#3 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

Did you see the pygmies doing the shredding? Fundulus species can be very rough on one another.

I had some banded pygmies and bluefin killies (Lucania goodei) together for a while. I never saw any aggression, but the pygmies seemed subdued and never tried to breed. Whether this was due to tankmates or some other factor I couldn't say.

I saw one of my banded pygmies go after a starhead when it came near its turf- so I assumed that was it. Totally could have been the other starhead though. My pygmies have spawned several times, but the eggs dissappear after a while and I have seen no fry since the first batch which have all dissappeared. I have ghost shrimp in the tank, I wonder if they are eating the fry?
Anyway, I had some redbellied dace in the same tank whos finns were not shredded, so....

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:45 PM

I kept Leptolucania ommata (pygmy killies) with Elassoma okefenokee (pygmy sunfish)... seemed only obvious pygmies with pygmies... and it seemed to go very well for quite a while... although neither seemed to be able to successfully breed whole housed together.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

Elassoma males will make strikes and evil stares at each other, but Ive never seen them shred fins of any other kind of fish. Besides Leptolucania you can also keep them with swamp darter, swampfish, or heterandria. But if you want to save any fry, they'll need a tank to themselves. Yes ghost shrimp can eat fish eggs & tiny fry.

Edited by gerald, 27 February 2010 - 06:06 PM.

#6 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:26 PM

Elassoma males will make strikes and evil stares at each other, but Ive never seen them shred fins of any other kind of fish. Besides Leptolucania you can also keep them with swamp darter, swampfish, or heterandria. But if you want to save any fry, they'll need a tank to themselves. Yes ghost shrimp can eat fish eggs & tiny fry.

Ok, I got to scoop out those shrimp. What about least killies? I have read that they leave their fry alone, so maybe they will leave the pygmy fry alone too? Have any experience with them?

#7 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

I kept Leptolucania ommata (pygmy killies) with Elassoma okefenokee (pygmy sunfish)... seemed only obvious pygmies with pygmies... and it seemed to go very well for quite a while... although neither seemed to be able to successfully breed whole housed together.

Ah, I was thinking of putting my swamp darters in my evergladei tanks, but I only have a couple of them and am hoping they will spawn again. I figured the darters would chow the fry. I had about 20 fry swimming around the tank for about a week or two. I was feeding them green water, plus the tank is heavily planted, so should have plenty to eat. One day there were only like 4-5, the next day I only saw one, now I see 0.
Not sure what happened to them, but I hope to have some more fry.

#8 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:05 AM

I keep Pygmy Sunfish in my Banded Killifish (Fundulus diaphanus menona) breeding tank. When I got the Pygmies, it was the only tank I had space in. The fish seem to live fine together, though I haven't yet seen any baby Pygmies. The killies are breeding in the tank with no problems, though I do remove the eggs. That's mainly to prevent predation by the adults, though. I guess I'll have to remove the Pygmies if I want them to breed. :rolleyes:

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users