May of found a safe forum of liquid carbon

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

It is made by a company called Brightwell. FlorinAxis. It is a non chemical source. http://brightwellaquatics.com/ Here is a link to the company website. Opinions? I purchased the Florin-Multi as an overall fertilizer and Florin-K for a potassium source. Picking up the Axis tomorrow. Wanted to research it before spending money on it first.

Awesome thing about the Florin-Multi is it comes with iodine in it to help your inverts molt. Great looking product.

#2 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

It is made by a company called Brightwell. FlorinAxis. It is a non chemical source. http://brightwellaquatics.com/ Here is a link to the company website. Opinions? I purchased the Florin-Multi as an overall fertilizer and Florin-K for a potassium source. Picking up the Axis tomorrow. Wanted to research it before spending money on it first.

Awesome thing about the Florin-Multi is it comes with iodine in it to help your inverts molt. Great looking product.

Not to nitpick but.....these things are all chemicals of one sort or another.

Dean (a chemist of course)

#3 Guest_Kurisuchan_*

Guest_Kurisuchan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:58 AM

According to the website the Carbon sources are Citric Acid and Citrate.

#4 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

touche'. They are chemicals. I meant more along the lines of non-toxic chemicals. Flourish Excel uses an antiseptic that is known (admittedly by the manufacturer) to kill some plants and also from experience seems to harm inverts.

#5 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

Not to nitpick but.....these things are all chemicals of one sort or another.

Dean (a chemist of course)

Even dihydrogen monoxide?!?!

#6 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

2 hydrogen atoms. 1 oxygen atom. Wait a mintute????? I get it. lmao. Good one.

#7 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:36 AM

Don't make me have to post the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for dihydrogen monoxide! It is a terrifying chemical and will scare people right out of the native fish hobby!

Dean

#8 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

Not to mention that Silicon dioxide...that very stuff most of your aquariums are made of, is a carcinogen. Scary stuff right there. I say we boycott all chemicals. NATIONWIDE CHEMICAL BAN STARTING NOW? Who is with me?!?!?!?

So to perhaps put this thread back on the rail a little bit...does anyone know how the Citric acid/citrate process breaks down the CO2? What is the plant's mechanism for this?

I've also wondered before...

Since sugar is used in CO2 reactors to create the CO2...do plants (or any microbes living in a fishtank) have a way to directly fix sugars as a CO2 source? I've often wondered if it would be possible to directly dissolve small amounts of sugar into the fishtank and have them utilized somehow? This way you could do away with CO2 reactors, you could do away with silicone tubing that leaks CO2, and any carbon produced would either go directly into the plant, or would at least be 100% dissolved in the water, eliminating the need for a diffuser. Does anyone have any proof that this WOULDNT work? Or would harm fish in some way? Or should I be experimenting?

#9 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

I've often wondered if it would be possible to directly dissolve small amounts of sugar into the fishtank and have them utilized somehow?
[...]
Does anyone have any proof that this WOULDNT work? Or would harm fish in some way? Or should I be experimenting?

Well, if it fails you'll at least have some deliciously sweet dead fish. Wonder if similar experimentation led to the creation of Swedish Fish candies...?

#10 Guest_Kurisuchan_*

Guest_Kurisuchan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

Does anyone have any proof that this WOULDNT work? Or would harm fish in some way? Or should I be experimenting?

A short chat with my botany professor tells me that this would be a form of carbon aquatic plants could use. He also said wood alcohol could be used much in the same way. Whether this would harm fish or not, I do not know.

#11 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

A short chat with my botany professor tells me that this would be a form of carbon aquatic plants could use. He also said wood alcohol could be used much in the same way. Whether this would harm fish or not, I do not know.

Way too far out of Organic Chemistry to be able to visualize the equations, but I guess this makes sense. Seems to me that it's more likely that some microorganisms would eat the actual sugar, releasing CO2 in the process (similar to a home-brew CO2 reactor). Might also produce ethanol, but not sure if it would be an amount harmful to fish or other life. No idea if dissolved sugar itself in the water would be a problem for fish or not. Maybe wind up creating diabetic fish? :tongue:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users