Delaware Regs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

I may be moving to Delaware in the near future and was wondering how the state of DE feels about some dude keeping natives in his basement. I looked through everything the forum linked me to and did subsequent google searches with no answer. Does anyone know about this?

Also, as I understand it non-tidal waters fish may not be captured with a net? Sorry if this was covered and I missed it.

#2 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

Up until April of last year I was a life long resident of Delaware and there are no laws prohibiting keeping natives. Just know the laws of catching non-game fish if you plan on collecting. What part of Delaware you moving to? I'll tell you the spots. There aren't a whole lot due to the fact Delaware is the chemical capital of the US and probably the Solar System.

#3 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:58 PM

I may be moving to Delaware in the near future and was wondering how the state of DE feels about some dude keeping natives in his basement.

something about that made me laugh a bit...

#4 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:26 PM

I will be moving to Wilmington actually. I should think sLower Delaware might have some neat stuff in the swamps on the way to the beach. We tear up the chain pickerel down there in the spring on topwaters...Can't wait! PM me if you have a few suggestions. BTW, you still interested in madtoms?

#5 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:32 PM

I will be moving to Wilmington actually. I should think sLower Delaware might have some neat stuff in the swamps on the way to the beach. We tear up the chain pickerel down there in the spring on topwaters...Can't wait! PM me if you have a few suggestions. BTW, you still interested in madtoms?

Well Wilmington is pretty polluted but you might have luck in the Brandywine. Just watch what part of the city you enter in. Wilmington is pretty bad crime wise. White Clay Creek which you probably are already familiar with in Newark is a pretty good spot. Canby Creek in west wilmington is a good spot too if you go up stream away from the populous. Towards Maryland Avenue a lot of run off and the pickings are low. You have a car wash, and a few other companies dumping god knows what in to the creek. Last time I was in the creek a lot of blue crabs migrating up from the Christiana River were in the creek for some reason.

yes I am still interested in madtoms. SMALL!!!! Like an inch or so. Nothing over 1-1.25 inches. I have a lot of small fish and shrimp and am paranoid. Have any?

#6 Guest_tnaylorj_*

Guest_tnaylorj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:56 AM

I've moving back to Delaware too soon. I'm originally from Dover, and my pumpkinseed, bluegill, american eel, and brown bullheads are from the Leipsic River watershed. Delaware is rather relaxed when it comes to fishing regulations. There's none on chain pickerel, and they're all over the state (though I have never been able to find a juvie small enough to rear)! My favorite spot hands down has been the stream side of Massey Mill's Pond in Dover. I used to have a few Eastern Mudminnows from there, but they died in the ride moving up here in Shade Gap.

Yeah, you should have fun in Delaware. Everyone that live there acts like it's the worst place in the world, but once you live somewhere else (like southcentral PA) you start to miss it!

#7 Guest_tnaylorj_*

Guest_tnaylorj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:00 AM

Oh, word to the wise.... watch out for water snakes they are everywhere in DE, and they definitely like to bite. I once filmed one at Garrison's Lake that fished and pulled a channel cat up to shore that was nearly a foot long and swallowed it like a boa constrictor or something.

Edited by tnaylorj, 28 March 2010 - 03:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users