A Lounge sub-forum?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:07 AM

Just thought I would suggest that we have a "lounge" sub-forum. This could be a place where people could post things that are going on in their life that are not necessarily native-fish related. I've seen this done on other forums with success. I thought it would be a good idea because native fish are cool, but not everything that happens in a person's life is directly related to native fish. I have become friends with people through this forum, and it would be nice if I could post other things that are happening in my life sometimes to let them know. What do you guys think?

Brian

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:41 AM

I always thought we could use an off topic sub forum to post things like fish centered jokes and such.

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

Two words best describe the reasons why we don't need this....flame war.

#4 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

i think its a good idea seeing you cant talk about anything else on this forum except strictly fish. I think it will go over well. Like the topic i started about the snow we had here got shut down. or catfish guys thread about his new computer. why not give it a shot? if it doesn't work then shut it down.

#5 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:16 AM

I've thought the same thing. I wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

#6 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

I also support an off topic area but there are many reasons why we have not put one up yet and for the very same reasons when/if we do put one up, it will likely not last long. This forum cannot be the free for all like many other forums and even though it would be off topic, we would have the same rules as elsewhere on the forum. All this being said, we're working on it ;-)

#7 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

Guess you have some pull and am glad you do. When I suggested this I was told, if I want to chat with my friends do it through private messenging. lol. Glad to see one is in the works. I would like to talk to some of you guys that I personally have come to like as people about other things than fish and not one on one in a private message format. Then I could have the opportunity to get to know some other people and no one is alienated from the conversation. I think this group is pretty mature and there won't be too many issues in regards to flame wars, etc. As long as politics and religion is avoided we are cool I think.

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

As long as politics and religion is avoided we are cool I think.

Well, good luck with that, those topics will come up and when they do it will look like an out of control Yahoo group. Let the good times roll!

#9 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:58 AM

The staff here operates as a team and if we're not on the same page, it's useless to try and implement new "stuff". Sure I might have some pull, but we listen to all members/staff here.
Bruce is right....Off topic forums are a mess. Religion and politics will come up, and be shut down. Matt is also right....flame wars will ensue. The previously mentioned problems will make for some bad blood but I hope NANFA membership can keep it's cool. Staff here doesn't want to spend a bunch of time babysitting the off-topic forum and we also don't want flame wars etc. I'm concerned an off topic forum would result in banned membership that would otherwise post for many years without incident. I don't see such a forum lasting very long but we are working on it.

#10 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

I know I'd enjoy a Lounge sub-forum. I've met some really great people here! We're all so spread out that I'd like to be able to visit with people I don't see all that often. One of the reasons I like this forum so much is that everyone is literate and intelligent. I know it would be more work for the moderators and I appreciate all you do for us! If any flame wars start, I would hope you'd shut them down. Of course, if no one wants to moderate such a sub-forum, then I guess we don't need one.

#11 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

I don't think it's a good idea. I've always really valued the fact that the NANFA Forum is generally a place where people still think seriously before they type and take the care to use reasonable grammar and spelling. A "lounge" would certainly have a more casual/social feel (by design), and I'd worry that would seep out into the rest of the Forum. I think the fact that the NANFA Forum doesn't look like a bunch of 13 year-olds texting to each other is one of the main reasons that we still have many high-caliber academics and professionals regularly participating.

maybe not all u ppl agree lol.

#12 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

I would implement a rule no discussion of politics or religion and anything else that may stir the pot. Thread gets started, it gets locked. Those are probably the two biggest though. I just started a political blog and get hate mail regularly. Funny thing is I just started it two days ago. lol.

#13 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

Well, an off topic area won't happen at this time on this forum. It's just too hard to get everyone on the same page and it's really difficult to ask staff to spend the time necessary to manage such a forum.
We'll try this again in a year and see if things change.

On a side to the comments Jase made...I believe the forum has changed significantly in the last year. We might not look like a bunch of 13 year-olds texting but the substance of the forum has been greatly diluted by irrelevant topics/posts, topics that could have been answered with little investigation and topics just to start conversation. Academic participation has dropped off and possibly due to the time it takes to wade through the chatter.

Now I will end my chatter :tongue:

#14 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

Well, an off topic area won't happen at this time on this forum. It's just too hard to get everyone on the same page and it's really difficult to ask staff to spend the time necessary to manage such a forum.
We'll try this again in a year and see if things change.

On a side to the comments Jase made...I believe the forum has changed significantly in the last year. We might not look like a bunch of 13 year-olds texting but the substance of the forum has been greatly diluted by irrelevant topics/posts, topics that could have been answered with little investigation and topics just to start conversation. Academic participation has dropped off and possibly due to the time it takes to wade through the chatter.

Now I will end my chatter :tongue:

Descision supported. :fishy: (I don't mean anything by the fish it's just fun using emoticons)

Edited by donkeyman876, 06 March 2010 - 04:55 PM.

#15 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:02 AM

Yes it has, yes that is why, and yes that is a correct observation.

#16 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

I've thought the same thing. I wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Yes it would. I don't want a longer list of New Content to skim through.

#17 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:57 AM

Now that you mention it, I've noticed this and I don't think it's an improvement.

#18 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

many forums I participate in have similar and I never use them, mostly for the reasons above.
Back in the early days of internet forums I got caught up in some pretty nasty flame wars. My wife pointed out I was getting riled up and stressed arguing with strangers and passing it along to the family. Life's too short...

Having said that, I will say this is one of the best moderated and generally mature and reasonable participants of all the many forums I've been to. If any group could pull it off, it's this one.

I still wouldn't use it though, I'm not disciplined enough to resist certain button pushing. :blush:

#19 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

I believe the forum has changed significantly in the last year. We might not look like a bunch of 13 year-olds texting but the substance of the forum has been greatly diluted by irrelevant topics/posts, topics that could have been answered with little investigation and topics just to start conversation. Academic participation has dropped off and possibly due to the time it takes to wade through the chatter.

I noticed too, but rather than blaming the newer posters who are still feeling the way into the forum, I blame the lack of participation of many key members. I know they're on the water and I know they're taking sweet pics, where are the posts???

And yes, I come here to talk native fish because I don't have anyone in my inner circle who does. When I come wanting to talk fish but don't see anything interesting, I guess I dilute the forum with my "irrelevant topics/posts".
On the other hand, it can be frustrating to make a post that seems relevant and interesting only to get one or two listless comments.
I'm thinking if folks are not happy with what's being posted, they aughta post something themselves.

#20 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

I'm not really trying to point the finger at any individual or group (as anyone can produce chatter).
I don't know Mike, I'm rather fond of your posts and make a point to read them :happy:

I wouldn't view a topics value by few or listless responses. If anything, it might be a sign that people who replied articulated something so many agree with, any reply would simply be an echo. I find this to be the case many times. In some cases I simply know very little about the subject matter and therefore feel unqualified to respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users