South Eastern PA Collecting Get Together

16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:44 PM

I have been talking with Dean Markley (dmarkley) about a spring get together for some local collecting. I was wondering if anyone else from the South Eastern Pennsylvania area might like to join us? I know there are a few of you close by who might be interested. I think we would be best off working the Susquehanna drainage in the Lancaster county area. I know quite a few spots and Dean does too. It would be great to put some faces to some names. I was thinking of doing something in either April or May. Anyone care to join us?

#2 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

I have been talking with Dean Markley (dmarkley) about a spring get together for some local collecting. I was wondering if anyone else from the South Eastern Pennsylvania area might like to join us? I know there are a few of you close by who might be interested. I think we would be best off working the Susquehanna drainage in the Lancaster county area. I know quite a few spots and Dean does too. It would be great to put some faces to some names. I was thinking of doing something in either April or May. Anyone care to join us?

Count me in. Do you two want to put together some dates? I'll check with my social secretary {wife} and see what weekends I'm available.

Harry Knaub

Edited by harryknaub, 08 March 2010 - 09:30 AM.

#3 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

Count me in. Do you two want to put together some dates? I'll check with my social secretary {wife} and see what weekends I'm available.

Harry Knaub

i might be interested in this as well. what are you hoping to catch?

#4 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

Well so far I'm pretty open except for saturday 4-17-10 and saturday 4-24-10. I have some things coming up but I haven't assigned dates to them yet. Hopefully some others will chime in and we can whittle it down to something.

Personally I would like to catch and photograph various shiner species and maybe fantail darters if we are feeling adventurous. Most of the locations I am familiar with are flowing water of some degree. If others know of some other spots we can include that as well.

Here is a pretty good list of what we can possibly expect to see. Feel free to ask about anything on the list. I may know where we can get them. Banded and Greenside darters are present as well but not featured on the list. As for the maryland darter... I have yet to find one of those. :rolleyes:

http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=2050306

#5 Guest_tnaylorj_*

Guest_tnaylorj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:43 AM

I'd love to collecting with you guys. I live on the other side of the Susquehanna near in Shade Gap (near Huntingdon area). I'd LOVE to come across the supposed redfin pickerel that may be in our river basin.

#6 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

Good deal, hope you can join us. So it looks like my April is booked to some extent but May is pretty much wide open. Any thoughts?

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

From the sounds of it, you'll be in the wrong types of streams to find redfin pickerel with any regularity, if at all.

Bart, you should take those NatureServe lists with a small grain of salt and not as dogma. Unfortunately, they are typically several years behind on current taxonomy and status. I actually see several examples in that list (e.g. slimy sculpin). Bandeds and greensides aren't on that list because they rapidly expanded their range into that HUC probably after or shortly around the time the list was made. Bandeds have only recently made it below the Conowingo dam in fact.

#8 Guest_tnaylorj_*

Guest_tnaylorj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

Actually I come across slimy sculpin all over here. Yeah, the redfin pickerel is more like a wild impossible dream, I think I'd be more likely to come across a small muskie than redfin... and I'd probably crap my pants if I saw a longnose gar anywhere near here.

#9 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:49 PM

From the sounds of it, you'll be in the wrong types of streams to find redfin pickerel with any regularity, if at all.

Bart, you should take those NatureServe lists with a small grain of salt and not as dogma. Unfortunately, they are typically several years behind on current taxonomy and status. I actually see several examples in that list (e.g. slimy sculpin). Bandeds and greensides aren't on that list because they rapidly expanded their range into that HUC probably after or shortly around the time the list was made. Bandeds have only recently made it below the Conowingo dam in fact.

So...you're saying we might not find any sturgeon? That's it, trips off! :laugh:

Yeah,
I pretty much use natureserve as a loose guide line to give me an idea of what might be present. Matt, have you ever come across fantail darters on the susquehanna? Natureserve used to show them around the lancaster county area but I have yet to see one.

Interestingly enough, I have seen atlantic needlefish just below conowingo dam. Some dude caught 1 next to me on a shad dart. I didn't know what they were back then. Very cool fish.

#10 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

can someone get together a list of def species that can and would most likely be collected where we are planning to go

#11 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

@ tnaylorj - I'm pretty sure those are not slimy sculpin, and instead Blue Ridge sculpin. Mr. Neely, do you have an opinion on this? I harp on mussel people enough for reporting slimy sculpin this, banded sculpin that, when they have been redescribed as something else. That was part of my point about natureserve though, it doesn't update taxonomy that regularly. It's a nice tool, but it can open up more doors than it gives answers.

Bart, I have never come across fantail darters in the Susquehanna basin, EXCEPT for a small population in the headwaters of the Prettyboy Reservoir watershed in western Baltimore County, MD. Not sure how to explain this as either bait bucket or stream piracy as both seem logical given the area. I may doubt natureserve on its record from around Lancaster Co., PA. Otherwise, everything is Potomac basin.

I'm pretty sure the Susquehanna is tidally influenced up to the dam, so needlefish are not out of the question.

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

can someone get together a list of def species that can and would most likely be collected where we are planning to go

Two answers...

1) No, that's why they call it fishin' there is no "definitely"

2) per Irate, Green Sunfish, that is all that is certain.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#13 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

by def i meant "typical" as in i know when i got out i will def get blacknose dace...bluegill....and swamp darters. lol.

#14 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

off the top of my head, here goes.

These I regularly turn up in the places I am familiar with,

Blacknose dace
longnose dace
rosyside dace
spotfin shiner
swallowtail shiner
bluntnose minnow
greenside darter
tessellated darter
chesapeake logperch(protected)
northern hog sucker
white sucker
banded killifish
creek chub
bluegill
pumpkinseed
green sunfish
LM bass
SM bass
brown trout
margined madtom
central stoneroller

and these are present but I have yet to find or positively ID,

banded darter
shield darter
fantail darter(further north, we might check out as I would like to compare them to others)
rosyface shiner and some other rather ordinary looking shiners.

#15 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

Good deal, hope you can join us. So it looks like my April is booked to some extent but May is pretty much wide open. Any thoughts?

If you go on May 15 or May 22, I may be able to join in. I'm assuming that you're planning a Saturday trip. Either way keep us posted on the list here.

Harry Knaub

#16 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

I want in on this trip too. I don't get on the forum as much as I used to. Now that I'm getting caught up, maybe that will change. I'd appreciate an e-mail. I'm much quicker at receiving and responding to e-mail. This would work especially well for me as a weekend trip.

#17 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

I want in on this trip too. I don't get on the forum as much as I used to. Now that I'm getting caught up, maybe that will change. I'd appreciate an e-mail. I'm much quicker at receiving and responding to e-mail. This would work especially well for me as a weekend trip.

Keep me in the loop as well!

Dean

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users