Rocky River

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_zackdmb_*

Guest_zackdmb_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:53 PM

Im new to the forum and to collecting native fish. Ive bben keeping cichlids and would like to start collecting native fish. Has anybody ever collected in the Rocky River or in any other rivers or creeks near the Cleveland area? Just wondering what i might be able to find around my hometown. Id also be interested in joining up for any outings going on. thanks.

Zack

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:01 PM

Well, I am no longer in the Cleveland area, but when I was up there I seem to recall a few parks along the Grand River that were good collecting spots... at least for rainbow darters, long nose dace, and a few other things...

But you have several NANFA members up your way that can help you out, and I expect you will get plenty of responses....

Im new to the forum and to collecting native fish. Ive bben keeping cichlids and would like to start collecting native fish. Has anybody ever collected in the Rocky River or in any other rivers or creeks near the Cleveland area? Just wondering what i might be able to find around my hometown. Id also be interested in joining up for any outings going on. thanks.

Zack

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

There are definately fish worth collecting in your area. I am from the canton area but am now in Bowling Green. I often get out all over the state though to fish and collect fish. Also be sure to pay attention to the midwest and canada section for future trips. This includes ohio and will be where future planned trips will be posted. We are currently working on a feb/march trip and so far it looks like we will be in the Maumee drainage. Feel free to put in your input on a date that may work.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:22 AM

Not too much species diversity wise in the Rocky River. Alot of waste water treatment. I've never really been in it above say the Nature Center and fork of the river. I'm pretty sure that the rules of the Cleveland Metroparks do not allow bait collection/possession of plant and wildlife from the park. You can read them on their website. The Chagrin and Grand are muuuuuch better. I'd never really gone west and sampled.

#5 Guest_Carl_*

Guest_Carl_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:51 PM

I was working along the Rocky river Wednesday and did some dipnetting. Not much to report the water was very high and muddy. The only fish was a very small sunfish probably a Green. I'm planning on going back when the conditions are a little more favorable to try again.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

http://www.epa.state...asinTSD2006.pdf
LOAD WARNING
The fish collection data begins on page 183. Deals with stream samples of the Grand river

#7 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

The Rocky has a decent species count... However, the only places I would fuss with are above where intersects the black shale (ie the not-so-pretty parts to the south out of the gorge), and because its such a small watershed, that doesn't leave a whole lot. Most of which is urban in Medina. Anyway, where those shales are the dominant substrate is actually horrible fish habitat, as the substrate is continually moving, and with it, so is their food. So keep that in mind for any of the places you collect, as all those streams intersect the shale on their way to lake elevation.

What I would do is check out Tinkers Creek or other non-wildlife cooridoor public parks in the Cuyahoga watershed, any of the reservations on the Chagrin that are open to public fishing (check your regulations!), and then finally make way over to the Grand River for some fun.

What I would do is get the bridge tour guide for the Grand River and hit all the spots. We've ever only looked at Harpersfield and a couple places by Rock Creek (which Rock Creek has a nice access right in town). If you go to Harpersfield, don't go by the dam. Drive all the way until you can't drive any more, park, and start walking downstream. It just gets better and better the further you get from that concrete abomination.

The other option is to head east. The Sandusky and Portage are pretty darn awesome in places (esp the Portage), and if you've sampled on those east Ohio streams for a while... Tribs of the Maumee will blow your mind.

There are some very active NANFA members in the Cleveland area (including a very good friend of mine in North Ridgeville) who aren't using the forum just yet, but I'd be glad to get you in contact with them, if you'd like.

Todd

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

I am in ashtabula county, and would be glad to give you a tour of lake/geauga/ashtabula counties. just let me know.

Tom

#9 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

I am in ashtabula county, and would be glad to give you a tour of lake/geauga/ashtabula counties. just let me know.

Tom

I might find that interesting also, sometime after the convention.

#10 Guest_creekcrawler_*

Guest_creekcrawler_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

Zack - Don't bother with Tinker's Creek unless your in the far upstream reaches.
Nearby though, you could try Sagamore Creek which is much cleaner.
Some of the Cuyahoga's feeders upstream of rt 82 are very nice, but do not net in the
CVNRA, they get a serious attitude........

#11 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

Off topic.
I floated down Tinkers Creek about 30 years ago. Ten of us went . . . in a VW Beetle. Wore holes through both cheeks of my cut-off denim shorts.

#12 Guest_creekcrawler_*

Guest_creekcrawler_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:14 PM

You floated in a VW?
Let me guess, wore out your jeans, I'm guessing the giant railroad tunnel with the cement chute in Bedford?

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

Is that the same Tinker's Creek of Annie Dillard fame?

#14 Guest_creekcrawler_*

Guest_creekcrawler_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

Nope. That was Tinker Creek in the mountains of Virginia.

This Tinker's Creek was named for Joseph Tinker, one of Moses Cleveland's first survey party
into the Ohio country. He drowned off the mouth of the Cuyahoga River in Lake Erie.
Tinker's Creek is responsible for 1/3 of the Mighty Cuyahoga' s flow.
It also carved out Tinker's Creek Gorge, kinda of a small Grand Canyon, which has kept some
very scenic reaches untouched by development.
Some people say it has the best whitewater kayaking in the state if you catch it with a high flow.
While it far upper reaches are nice & clean, the lower stretches are still bothered by a few
ww treatment plants and runoff.
It has cleaned up though. 20-25 years ago it was void of fish. Now I catch carp, bass and panfish.
Even an occasional sheepshead, which makes the 18 mile run upstream from Lake Erie.

hmmm. I am a virtual well of kinda interesting but useless information.........

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users