Video from the Big South Fork

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hi folks,

I've post a couple more video clips to YouTube.

These are from the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River a couple years back. Featured are the ashy darter, Etheostoma cinereum, and the bloodfin darter, Etheostoma sanguifluum. The ashy darter was of particular interest to me, as they are an uncommon fish and their habitat can be hard to sample. Thus, the best way to see them is with a mask, not a seine. Unfortunately, when they're in breeding color, it's almost impossible to see them without SCUBA or electrofishing from a boat. Only under unusual conditions would you pull that one off, and you'll need a dry suit or semi-dry (which is probably a whole other topic we should get into on the Forum :)).

Hope you enjoy!

Todd
ps Michael, I'm getting these saved as AVI's that I can mail to you, if you'd still like to collaborate on this. I'm really sorry it's taken so long for me to get my crap together!

#2 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

could you please post the specs. was this done live video and no edit?
and what tools did you use?
are we still ok to chat about how cool your videos are.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

ps Michael, I'm getting these saved as AVI's that I can mail to you, if you'd still like to collaborate on this. I'm really sorry it's taken so long for me to get my crap together!

Yes sir, I am at your service... I have a little more tiem for fish projects now that I don't have to chase high school soccer players around in the spring (can you say empty nest?)... my only complaint; I hate that you took the sound out of those clips... I think it really adds a lot to be able to hear the rushing water... I love the sound of snorkeling in a river!

When did you take that? When we were all with you? I don't remember you haveing a video camera then.

Edited by Michael Wolfe, 13 March 2010 - 07:56 PM.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

[quote name='Michael Wolfe' date='13 March 2010 - 06:55 PM' timestamp='1268528155' post='73718']
I think it really adds a lot to be able to hear the rushing water...

as I do. please edit the sound back in Todd.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

Awesome videos Todd. That bloodfin wasn't very happy about you bothering him. I can only imagine what he was seeing.....

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, nice work. I was struck by how much in life the ashy's snout looks like that of a more gracile logperch. And in the bloodfin clip the views of the turbulence on the underside of the surface looked almost scary.

#7 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hey thanks guys :)

Yeah. The sound is a real conundrum. I like the rushing water too. But I can't stand all the clanking around the housing does hitting rocks and stuff. If I could get the water sound clean on an endless loop, that would be another thing. This is where Michael definitely comes in :)

The camera is a Sony HDC-3 and an Ikelite housing.

Video has been pulled off with Microsoft Movie Maker, which has only been at NTSC, and I just can't figure out how to keep it 16:9 when converting to mpg4 in this other software I bought, called Movavi Studio which is a gigantic pile of crap. It converts okay tho, so whatever. Still not prime, but it works with my camera, which has been a gigantic problem in the past mailing the tapes around (other cameras can't read the tapes).

If someone has a suggestion for software that isn't too expensive and works on a PC, I'd love to hear it. We'd like to get a iMac at some point, but that won't happen in the near future.

Ah, and yes, this was from that trip. This was just after we blew Uland's mind. I still wish I had thought to interview him before and after :)

Todd

Edited by farmertodd, 13 March 2010 - 09:59 PM.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:13 PM

Yeah. The sound is a real conundrum. I like the rushing water too. But I can't stand all the clanking around the housing does hitting rocks and stuff. If I could get the water sound clean on an endless loop, that would be another thing. This is where Michael definitely comes in :)

Yes, I did just that for the other video (which I should probably figure out how to post to a better website like Vimeo... hmm, that's a good project I will have to get on)

I'm using Pinnacle Studio... it is not always easy to use... but does do a pretty nice job... by the way Todd, the latest version of that software will handle your video directly (I don't have that version, but it is available now).

MW
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

I'm using Pinnacle Studio... it is not always easy to use... but does do a pretty nice job... by the way Todd, the latest version of that software will handle your video directly (I don't have that version, but it is available now).

Thanks Michael. I looked at both (Pinnacle and Vimeo) last night... As for Pinnacle:

http://buy.pinnacles...nacle&sid=51106

Among these versions, which do you think will suit my needs? Capture, edit, some transition effects, screens with text, if I just want to dump something on YouTube or Vimeo. Ultimate? Is the Collection just "more"?

Todd

#10 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

Very cool, Todd! You're only increasing my itch to break out mask and snorkel, as did seeing the unreal blue on some stigmaeum yesterday. Still a little chilly for my blood.

#11 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

I'd beg to differ about the effectiveness of seining versus snorkeling Todd.....you were there, that may be the highest relative CPUE ever.

#12 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

Were they in breeding color and were those usual conditions? ;)

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

Among these versions, which do you think will suit my needs? Capture, edit, some transition effects, screens with text, if I just want to dump something on YouTube or Vimeo. Ultimate? Is the Collection just "more"?

You do not need the collection, becasue you are not trying to create a bunch of "creative" effects... the star of your show is nature, not special effects... all you need is the basic to get started with (the Pinnacle marketing machine will communicate with you after that and you will have many chances to upgrade). I have been wanting to try vimeo for some time after someone else showed it to me for some soccer videos, but I have not put any fish stuff up there yet... just seems that it would be good for better/longer videos. Won't attract the attention of the common man, but that is OK by me. I can tell NANFA about it and provide links. You are getting me all excited about video again, I need to dig out that Conasauga video and create a vimeo account.

Edited by Michael Wolfe, 14 March 2010 - 10:35 PM.

#14 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

Hey thanks Newt!

Okay, so Ultra will take care of it.

In the meantime, do you think AVI's at NTSC resolution pulled by Windows Movie Maker are in any worse quality than what PS will get? Or for the tapes that are truly Hi Def, do you think it's best to not waste time and just get the big files first? I'm trying to prioritize my spring budget, if you haven't figured that out from my two threads I have running :)

#15 Guest_SkullAndJones_*

Guest_SkullAndJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

The way darters move their head reminds me of lizards lol

#16 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

The way darters move their head reminds me of lizards lol

I've often thought that, too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic