Photo

Georgia - Oconee River Drainage

36 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:39 PM

Seems a little silly to post this in "Trip Reports" since I travelled less than a mile from my house (as the crow flies) to a place that Laura B (aka Nativeplanter) and I had seem the best looking Turquoise darter (E. inscriptum). I have never seen a good picture of one, so I thoght that this year, I would try to go back to that spot early and often this year and see if I could get a good photo of a Turquoise darter. So with my PVC and glass photo tank packed into my backpack and my "saved from the South Chick" dip net, I headed out.

I was actually able to come up with only one individual, which is not in the full breeding color yet. But if you look closely, you can see some of that turquoise color behind the gills and on the anal fin.

This may have to do with the cool weather and rain we have been having so far this spring. But that's the reason for going out multiple times. Also, you have to love living some place where, when you can't catch anything else, you end up catching these guys.

Also caught:
creek chub (mostly small ones)
bluehead chub (several small, one pretty big, but he was much smarter than I beterrn dipnet and collection bucket and...)
unidentified juv. sunfish
lots of crayfish
lots of salamanders
a few tadpoles
hellgramites
dragonfly larva

p.s. Looks like the photo attachment is not working like I thought, so they may be out of order, but you get the idea.

Attached Images

• 0313 outing (15).JPG
  • 0313 outing (21).JPG
  • 0313 outing (34).jpg
  • 0313 outing (57).JPG
  • 0313 outing (60).JPG

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

Those look real nice, Michael; I wish I could have gone with you. We'll have to catch up later this spring - interested in trading a couple turquoise darters and some yellowfins for some beeeaaautiful speckly mumichogs? I have a 125 that will be set up soon... (I am allowed only 1 tank in the house, so...)

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

no need for mumis, but I'm sure there are other things you could get me... white lace pitchers...

but in any case, yes, we can get you some yellowfins...

and I have a new one for you as well... Hybopsis rubrifronse the rosyface chub... I have one that I have had for a year and half and it is doing well... I am looking to try a few more this year... if they turnout to be sturdy enough I will add them to my favorite fish list...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

Vahry nice-ah!

Michael, is there a description online about your photo tank? That looks like it would survive the Farmertodd test much better than some of the all acrylic tanks. I'm still looking into glass tho. If I could just figure out how to get the silicone of the rim off, I'd be golden.

Todd

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

Nice pics but I'm confused on which is what.
I really love that first fish and the 3/4 perspective really shows off the stripes. I see that working with others, like common shiners, where the neon goes out at the wrong angle.

#6 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

Nice photos, Michael. How was the condition of the stream you went to? My usual spot has been very high with all of the precipitation lately. The stream bed has been modified a lot of the last few month because of all the flood events. I have seen less yellowfins than usual, but the rosyface chubs seem to be in better shape and have not been washed downstream. If my schedule ever calms down (which I doubt it will until mid-summer), hopefully I'll be able to join yall in a few outings.

MikeZ, the 2nd, 4th and 5th pics are yellowfin shiners. The middle photo is the turquoise darter.

#7 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

On your photo container, is the bottom of the "paddle" stationary and you just tilt the top forward to pinch the fish to the glass? I like the look of the photos. They have a nice 3d dynamic that would make for great photo reference for my paintings as opposed to the dead on side view. I want to get serious this summer with my native fish pics and I am considering some different options.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

Michael, is there a description online about your photo tank? That looks like it would survive the Farmertodd test much better than some of the all acrylic tanks.

Yes, here it is... but skip to post 31 on the second page of the thread... my first version was crap... this version is made with PVC "board" and has the glass siliconed onto the front...

http://forum.nanfa.o...231-photo-tank/

I still have lots of "board" left... but I don't have much good glass right now... what I used was pretty thick and it is holding up nicely to being carried around in a softsided backpack.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

Nice photos, Michael. How was the condition of the stream you went to? My usual spot has been very high with all of the precipitation lately. The stream bed has been modified a lot of the last few month because of all the flood events. I have seen less yellowfins than usual, but the rosyface chubs seem to be in better shape and have not been washed downstream. If my schedule ever calms down (which I doubt it will until mid-summer), hopefully I'll be able to join yall in a few outings.

MikeZ, the 2nd, 4th and 5th pics are yellowfin shiners. The middle photo is the turquoise darter.

Yes, of course you have the fishes correct. :biggrin:

The streams were a little high, but I really want to get a good turquoise shot, so I am likely going to go out every weekend that I can and try to get a photo... could really use your help... I need a good seine-hand (or are you out there listing to me K-man?).

Take me to (or PM me) your location for getting some rosyface... I have gotten much more interested in these recently and would like to try to get more than just the one that I have been raising up for the last year and a half or so.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

On your photo container, is the bottom of the "paddle" stationary and you just tilt the top forward to pinch the fish to the glass? I like the look of the photos. They have a nice 3d dynamic that would make for great photo reference for my paintings as opposed to the dead on side view. I want to get serious this summer with my native fish pics and I am considering some different options.

The paddle is not attached at all, it is free. But ususally I put the bottom of it wedged against the front bottom of the tank. THe idea is to pivot it forward and pinch the fish (this is how others do it)... but I have never been very good at getting the pressure just right. So I try to be very soft with it and wait for the fish to calm down a little and get a somewhat mroe natural photo... glad you like it.

#11 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

Michael,
We will certainly have to exchange PMs. I won't be able to just give you the location and turn you loose, but I have no problem taking you to this spot as it is private land. My schedule will not be clear for another week yet, but we can coordinate schedules around the 25th or so. Saturdays are usually best bets. Let's fill up that tank!

#12 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

Michael we caught some super fired up ones two weeks ago so they are in color now. I think yours is a female. Get out there and get us a good shot or two.

#13 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

no need for mumis, but I'm sure there are other things you could get me... white lace pitchers...

but in any case, yes, we can get you some yellowfins...

and I have a new one for you as well... Hybopsis rubrifronse the rosyface chub... I have one that I have had for a year and half and it is doing well... I am looking to try a few more this year... if they turnout to be sturdy enough I will add them to my favorite fish list...

I'm a bit short on white pitchers, but should have plenty of swamp sunflower I can share this spring (and if you plant some, you will have plenty to share too!). If I remember correctly, I once got some rosyface chubs with Gerald. They were indeed pretty cool.

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:01 PM

Uncle Willie... It's a date! ...next Saturday is the 27th... let's plan on it!

Dustin... I think you are right. I noticed a few things about that fish that made me think female also... according to my understanding, turquoise females do color up a bit and would look about like that... red in the dorsal and some turquoise on the anal fin... hopefully I can get a male this weekend.

Laura... if you give it to me I will try to grow it, whatever it is, I trust you!

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:29 PM

UPDATE - SUCCESS

So, I got the K-man to come up here to help me drag seine. I always seem to do so much better with the seine. And the weather was nice, and the water wasn't so high, and it was clear... and bang! First seine haul we come up with a REAL turquoise darter male and a couple of his big fat girlfriends. So for those of you who have been looking at pictures in books and saying, "why do they call 'em turquoise" here is why...
0320 outing 19.jpg
look at that face!
0320 outing 21.JPG

We seined a little more in some of the pools below the riffles and caught the other target fish of the day ("...man I love seining, its like, so much better than losing")... rosyface chubs... so this is how Georgia does Hybopsis...
0320 outing 42.JPG
...and this is why he is called H. rubrifrons
0320 outing 49.JPG

So, while I am trying to photograph these pieces of raw excitement... K-man (I mean, he has a name, but why use it when just one letter will do?) wanders off, through the drainage culvert, under the road, dip net in hand (always looking for a redbreast sunfish). And all of a sudden he comes back and says something about the butch, boss hog, of the stream... and I think he was right...
0320 outing 28.jpg
...photo tank didn't phase him he just sat up and told me to put him back in the stream... "I got lady business to take care of" he says...
0320 outing 33.jpg
... and we did.

Had a real good day for such a small stream.
Creek Chub
Bluehead Chub (nothing with a really bluehead yet, or tubercules, but several class sizes up to about 6 inches)
Rosyface Chub (kept about three of these to add to the one I have already... I want to learn more about them)
... I like big chubs and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny...
Yellowfin Shiners (tons, all sizes, and some about 1/4 of the way colored up... just because they can)
Tadpole Madtom (another K-man special... some people can use a dipnet, and he is one of 'em)
Bluegill (nothing special, but it got us up to 6 genuses (how would you spell the plural of genus? genie?)
??? too small to tell sunfish (kept him, we will find out later... I'm hoping L.Puntatus

We even got to do the NANFA education thing...
"Hey what are y'all doing? Your not throwin' trash in the stream are ya?"
"No sir, we're lookin' at fish... kinda like bird watchin'... but fish"
"Well I don't want no one throwin' fish guts and stuff down in the stream, smells something aweful"
"No sir, there's some really pretty little fish in the stream, look here" (the first bright little turquoise darter in the photo tank)

"Well that, is somethin', I lived here (which we later found out meant in the house right next to the stream) since 1991, I ain't never seen any fish like that... you mind if I go get my daughter?... Are y'all goin' to be here for a little bit"
"Yes sir, I'll be right here takin' pictures"
pick up truck leaves, pick up truck comes back
I introduce myself, tell him where I live, tell him if he ever sees my jeep, he will know it is just me. He introduces himself and his daughter. See looks to be about ten or so. We talk about the fish in the phototank; the darter, the madtom, and one of the rosyface chubs. Talk about how darters move around the bottom, how they are a fish that doesn't swim very well, so they sit on the bottom and "dart" out to eat somethin' that passes by. He talks about how this is a nice little stream and the road used to be a nice dirt road until the county paved it for him, even though he fought it. Then it's all, "have a nice day, thanks for showin' us the fish", and they were off.

So the day was already a full and total success, but we did hit one other spot... got another turquoise, lots more yellowfins, nothing different, except this one fish... had the K-man and I kinda stumped stream-side, but the more I look at the picture the more I am sure that it is a baby box-head trout. We caught a couple... kind of surprised us to see 'em this far south, but they are still in range, so that's what it must be.
0320 outing 78.JPG
0320 outing 63.JPG

We scouted around and found another place to try the next time... man I love spring! So next time someone says there are no colorful darters in Georgia, or asks you why they name fish the way they do... you have a point of reference. And the next time someone asks you about why it's important to get out and look at fish, you can ask the guy that lived next to the stream, and wanted to keep it clean, and got a chance to see his first darter today, and was so excited that he went home to get his daughter to show her.

Edited by Michael Wolfe, 20 March 2010 - 11:33 PM.

#16 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:30 AM

Michael, Great photos and a great report. Thanks for sharing and hat is one Hybopsis I have got to see some day. Don't get me wrong....your turquoise darter is awesome but darters always get all the oooh's and aaah's. Minnows need some attention too :biggrin:

#17 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

Wow phantastic photos! (and phish!) Cant seem to find boxhead trout in my Peterson Guide. Is it a Moxostoma? or Scartomyzon? AT first I thought white sucker, but the scales dont appear to get much smaller toward the front my best feature for ID-ing white sucker in NC).

#18 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

Box-head trout? Do you find them in the same streams as water squirrels? Inquiring minds want to know. And more than one genus = genera.

#19 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

Dang it Michael! You're making me very jealous here.

I'm gonna clean up that new tank so I can bring it in the house today. (Can't bring it in until it is sparkling clean. Rules, you know.). I can't WAIT for late spring/summer to be here!!!

#20 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

Box-head trout is a northern hogsucker right? :-k

Those turquoise darters are beautiful. I really enjoy the areas of bright green juxtaposed with the simple red and tan striping on the body, a real masterpiece of nature. That big guy was really something. Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy collecting vicariously through others pictures especially when there is a nice story to go along with it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users