pirate perch culture

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#81 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

James -- Which pathogens/parasites can be spread by indoor-cultured snails into fish without another intermediate host?  I've been telling people that indoor-cultured snails that never had access to fish-eating bird/animal poop are "safe" in terms of parasite risk.  Bad advice?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#82 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:11 PM

Snails ARE the intermediate host.  But AFAIK only for Platyhelminthes.  But in Gerald's scenario they would be safe. 

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#83 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

I am not worried about snails as an intermediate host, rather I am more concerned about them as being vectors by simply being able to move between systems.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#84 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

Fish are now approaching the smallest size I have seen in the wild outside of embryos and prolarvae.  Their behavior is not consistent with being planktonic.  The fish have consistently been associate with bottom and wall of tub with many concentrating around the wick.  They do very little active swimming yet have very distended abdomens.  About 10 have died thus far.  

#85 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:50 AM

Another note, fry have ability to approximate tone of background.  While swimming over dark background they are dark while over light back ground they blanch.  Change appears rapid not unlike centrarchids are capable of.

#86 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

Images I take are not very good.  You will have to suffer with me on that.

Sock is being used as wick.

DSC03666_zpstbuci4sr.jpg

DSC03669_zpsnx0gwlnk.jpg

#87 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

Very, very cool!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#88 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for explaining about the sock.  I figured you were holding fish in shoe boxes and just forgot to take out the shoes and socks.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#89 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

Fish nearly doubled in size since last post.  Somehow they disperse themselves evenly about the tank.  Socks made of good material for wicking action and are sufficiently broad to provide needed flow.  Water level in tank gives 1.5 inches of free-board.

#90 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

Doing a Little Experiment.

Student noted fry appeared to be disappearing based on observations when feeding with BS.  We did a little looking around to find fry are stacking up in shadow of wick.  I suspended a black nylon screen rolled into a tube just under the water surface.  By tomorrow I bet most fry will be inside or under the tube .

#91 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:50 AM

Some, about 30, fry moved to tube suspended at surface in middle of tank.  Still concentration of fry much higher under wick.  Fry also starting to get really big bellies.

#92 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

Overall, the pirate perch fry are very different from fry of all other species I have reared.  Firstly, neither vision nor direct contact enabling taste appears important in orienting on and capturing prey.  Like catfishes the pirate perch can detect food items behind them.  Relative to all other species they move very little when hunting for eats.  Most species at least initially move about consistently in their environment to encounter prey.  For the most part the pirate perch sit and wait.  Like gobies and some cichlids the pirate perch fry orient the ventral surface towards whatever structure they are near although the pirate perch do flip over to upside down position.

#93 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:30 PM

A very interesting note.  One of the females appears ready to produce her third clutch this season.  She has eaten very little.  Her tissues must be nearly water to support all that vitellogenesis.

#94 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

Fish starting to distribute themselves evenly throughout tank.  Only near surface do they seem to avoid.  Density under wick going down.  It appears they are starting to get more inclined to engage each other antagonistically or at least from a greater range.

#95 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

Fish getting big enough to see details.

DSC03681_zpsbbytzdwj.jpg

DSC03685_zpsjkzootd3.jpg

DSC03690_zps94w9n0rb.jpg

#96 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

Tonight I observed fry after timed lights went off.  Fry dispersed more, higher in the water column.  They are also darker.

#97 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:52 PM

Another change.  During day fry either near bottom of tank or they stack up under the black cylinder shown above.  This was an abrupt change from yesterday.

#98 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

Lights off now resulting in another boring observation.  Fry exhibit a lot more forward movement at night.  Night time they move forward much more frequently.  They have also moved up into the water column thus are more uniformly distributed throughout the tank.

#99 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

Prepared to be in awe.  Look at these evil little pirates.  Uniform in size and with pot bellies.  They are echo locating little beasts using passive sonar as well.  Most are within 4 inches of surface.  They are pushing 3/4 inches total length.  Still being fed Artmia sp. nauplii although could handle water fleas with ease if cultures would take off.

DSC_4310_zpsoazfsj15.jpg

DSC_4311_zpsspxgikar.jpg

DSC_4312_zpsmzv2p681.jpg

#100 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:36 PM

Also note the very large opercular region  That massive head must be important for something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users