Your Favorite Darter

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_InSeiner_*

Guest_InSeiner_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:19 AM

I just wanna get other peoples opinions on what they think the best looking darter is, or what your favorite darter is. Personally my favorite darter is the varigate darter, such a gorgeous fish.

WHAT'S YOURS??? ](*,)

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

Yoke darter (E. Juliae) from the ozarks... great fish to snorkel with... incredable behaviour (always in and out of the rubble river bottom... curious, interesting facial expression). The web pictures I have seen don't do any justice seeing one live and in person. Nice strong pattern of coloration and even a nice couple of splashes of color (green behind the gills and bright orange chest/belly when in color).

I just wanna get other peoples opinions on what they think the best looking darter is, or what your favorite darter is. Personally my favorite darter is the varigate darter, such a gorgeous fish.
WHAT'S YOURS??? ](*,)

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:30 AM

I'm going with Savannah darter, E. fricksium.

#4 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:12 PM

Hands down for me. Tennessee Snubnose. That little blunt nose turns flourescent green in the spring. Awesome. Of course I have not had many other darters. I have at this time rainbows, cold water, and tennesse snubnose plus possibly one of the hybrids between the blacksided and tennessee snubnose I have read about. Anyone have any info on this type of darter? The ones I catch sure look crossed between Tennesse snubnose and Blacksided.

Yoke darter (E. Juliae) from the ozarks... great fish to snorkel with... incredable behaviour (always in and out of the rubble river bottom... curious, interesting facial expression). The web pictures I have seen don't do any justice seeing one live and in person. Nice strong pattern of coloration and even a nice couple of splashes of color (green behind the gills and bright orange chest/belly when in color).

Ozarks, WOW can you send me a few Ozark Bass??? Will pick up the tab on any expense. They seem to have a limited range do they happen to be protected because of that??

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

I think I would have to say the Iowa darter, E. exile. They are just so atypical for a darter, living in lakes spawning and living in vegetation (atleast in my area there are only 2 lake dwelling species I know there are more down south). I like the way they climb through the plants as if they were monkeys in trees or something. Of course you have to have some color on your favorite and the males can look quite nice.

#6 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

Right now, gulf darter.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

WHAT'S YOURS??? ](*,)

Any of the various logperches because of their rock-flipping behaviors, using their snouts. They're not highly colored fish, but they're fun to watch either in aquaria or in nature.

#8 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

those are nice fish but my favorite would have to be the greenfindarter (etheostoma chlorobranchium)

#9 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

I like the redline, they keep their color and are full of that darter personality.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

Can't help you... I'm not really there... just visited at the convention a couple of years back and brought home a few yoke darters. Yeah the range is limited, but they are so locally abundant that I don't think they are protected (or need to be really).

Ozarks, WOW can you send me a few Ozark Bass??? Will pick up the tab on any expense. They seem to have a limited range do they happen to be protected because of that??

I may have to change my vote... these are another great fish to snorkel with... I haven't tried any in aquariums yet, but it is something that I would like to do...

Any of the various logperches because of their rock-flipping behaviors, using their snouts. They're not highly colored fish, but they're fun to watch either in aquaria or in nature.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

This was going to me my answer, I really like the logperches. Based not only on behavior but their size and color pattern as well.
It's hard for me to choose a favorite. I don't live in a darter rich area, the few I have kept never survived more then a year. Most of my darter experiance and knowledge comes from pictures and books.

#12 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

This was going to me my answer, I really like the logperches. Based not only on behavior but their size and color pattern as well.
It's hard for me to choose a favorite. I don't live in a darter rich area, the few I have kept never survived more then a year. Most of my darter experiance and knowledge comes from pictures and books.

Mines gotta be the Savannah darter, E. fricksium.

#13 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

I can't decide between any of the Nothonotus darters. I had a pair of Greenfins that were my pride and joy and croaked in a few months. Just never took to tank life. They are a lil on the far side to go get easily and we rarely make research trips out that way either. Slowly working my way through seeing or having them all (those which can be kept). I've collected, but not snorkeled with aquali or microlepdium. I bet they are as fun as vulneratum.

#14 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:47 PM

Doing most of my collecting out in Ohio, my favorite darter would have to be the Orangethroat Darter (Etheostoma spectabile).

#15 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

I would have to say it is the Frecklebelly Darter P. stictogaster, followed closely by the Fantail E. flabellare. The frecklebelly darters that I am keeping act unlike any darter I have ever kept, undoubtably the most pelagic darter. They almost never rest on the bottom, and are always front and center of the tank. They are very easy to convert to freeze dried foods, and also flake. I think they would be one of the best darters for beginning fish keepers.

#16 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:14 PM

I would have to say it is the Frecklebelly Darter P. stictogaster, followed closely by the Fantail E. flabellare. The frecklebelly darters that I am keeping act unlike any darter I have ever kept, undoubtably the most pelagic darter. They almost never rest on the bottom, and are always front and center of the tank. They are very easy to convert to freeze dried foods, and also flake. I think they would be one of the best darters for beginning fish keepers.

Do they take well to warmer water? I think that's my problem, most of my tanks are between 74-78° F, though I hope to setup a tank in the basement this summer and try again, it's typically cooler in there.

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

Do they take well to warmer water? I think that's my problem, most of my tanks are between 74-78° F, though I hope to setup a tank in the basement this summer and try again, it's typically cooler in there.

Actually I have not had them long enough to be sure how they take warmer temps, also all of my tanks are in the basement, so they stay pretty cool. I would assume that they are a somewhat more heat tolerant darter, because of their association with slack water and pools. But this is only speculation.

#18 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:29 PM

Wow, what a tough question? Tippecanoe, Redline, Variagate and Rainbow. Well at least for today.

#19 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

I don't know if I would call it the prettiest darter but my favorite one hands down is the Least Darter.
Etheostoma microperca

#20 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:09 AM

I don't know if I would call it the prettiest darter but my favorite one hands down is the Least Darter.
Etheostoma microperca

That would have to be my least favorite darter.
(I know - ha ha. Well, somebody had to say it. 8-[ )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users