Ozark Bass

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SkullAndJones_*

Guest_SkullAndJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:10 AM

Hi.I live in northern Arkansas Ozarks region.I have a little spring fed creek right behind my place that is loaded with either Ozark bass or rock bass. i was wondering how do i distinguish between the two.And secondly is it legal to keep them?

#2 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

Ozark bass are the most elongate of the 4 Ambloplites species and along with the Roanoke bass do not a distinct black edge to the anal fin. Rock bass are the second most elongate though so that may not be all that helpful. I do not have it but I would try looking in Fishes of MO or maybe someone else on here who does have the book on hand could look it up for some more detail. This info is all just off the top of my head, and I'm sure that book could give detail on any differences in scale counts or other reliable physical characters.

#3 Guest_SkullAndJones_*

Guest_SkullAndJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

That's interesting.I have searched all over online for a physical description of Ozark Bass and couldn't find one.I found descriptions for rock bass,shadow bass and war mouth.Whats so unusual is that he has three anal spikes at least and no more than four at most.I could get an exact count by removing him from the tank and examining him better but I don't want to remove him from the tank because hes stressed out as it is.Here's a longer physical description: Extremely elongate and as you said.Not square and bulky at all,like a sunfish.His anal fin is "trimmed" with a light black edge as well.Spots are pretty random.Three dark vertical lines on his sides.One line by the tail,one in the middle and one behind the gills.Their hard to see sometimes because he lightens and darkens.And three to four anal fin spikes.Personality description:He only eats live stuff.Very skittish.He never has learned to associate me with food.

#4 Guest_SkullAndJones_*

Guest_SkullAndJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

I'm thinking hes got to be an Ozark or a hybrid.I will try to find that book you mentioned.Thanks for reply.

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

There may be a very light trim to the anal fin but nothing overly obvious. I have a couple photos but they aren't great, they just don't cooperate real well for photos for me. If you could get a pic of yours that would help. One of these shots the fish is darker than usual and one much lighter. It doesn't look like either shot shows any edge to the anal fin at all so maybe yours is a rock bass.

Attached File  Ozark Bass by BZ.jpg   183.24KB   1 downloads
Attached File  Ozark 2.JPG   160.39KB   0 downloads

For comparison here is a shadow and a rock bass.

Not a great Rock bass photo but you can see the obvious black edge to the anal fin
Attached File  jv Rock Bass2 by BZ.jpg   41.41KB   0 downloads

I actually like this photo and shadows tend to have a slight edge to the anal fin but not as obvious as a rock bass. This is more apparent on larger fish and this is a very small one.
Attached File  Young Shadow Bass Conasauga River TN 5OCT09 by BZ.jpg   189.34KB   0 downloads

#6 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:45 PM

I'm thinking hes got to be an Ozark or a hybrid.I will try to find that book you mentioned.Thanks for reply.

Ozark Bass have random black specks scattered all over their body , a smaller eye than Rock bass or Shadow Bass, and as smbass stated dosent have a black margin on its anal fin. Pfleigers, "Fishes of Missouri", and Goldsteins, "American Aquarium Fishes" give identification information. It sounds like you may have a hybrid from the "light black edge", and the "three verticle bars" your talking about. I have only seen them once (true Ozark Bass) and I couldnt find any information on them being endangered in Arkansas, you should contact the Arkansas conservation dept. for more info. on keeping (in Missouri they are considered a game fish in many areas and you have to have a fishing liscense and they must be over 8 inches in length to be taken). Although Ive never kept them I read (American Aquarium Fishes), that they need a pebble or sand bottom and clean water in Aquaria.

#7 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:13 PM

Since your location says Harrison I'm assuming your creek is part of the White River drainage. If your fish are a type of rock bass they are almost certainly Ozark Bass. According to Fishes of Arkansas, Rock Bass are an introduced species in Arkansas found only in the Illinois and Neosho River drainages. Shadow Bass are widespread in Arkansas, but they are absent from the White River drainage.

Here is a picture of an adult Ozark Bass from the Buffalo River in Arkansas:
Posted Image

The young have a bolder pattern of bands/splotches. Here is a picture of a juvenile Ozark Bass also from the Buffalo River:
Posted Image

From what I can gather from the Arkansas Fishing Guidebook, Ozark Bass are not protected in Arkansas, and, with a fishing license, you may legally keep up to 6 individuals. There is no length limit, but, from what I can tell, they are classified as a sport fish, and so have to be taken by hook and line. Bream under 4 inches can be taken by net, but I don't think Ozark Bass are included in the "bream" category.

I highly recommed the book Fishes of Arkansas by Robinson and Buchanan (ISBN: 1557280010). It sells for $20-30. It includes pictures, descriptions, range maps, identification keys, etc. for all of the fishes found in Arkansas.

#8 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

After looking at all these pictures in the future I am definately going to collect some Ozark Bass! :mrgreen:

#9 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

IsaacSzabo, those are some great photos, I don't think I have seen better shots of ozark bass anywhere else.

#10 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

IsaacSzabo, those are some great photos, I don't think I have seen better shots of ozark bass anywhere else.

Thanks Brian. Underwater photography is one of my favorite hobbies.

#11 Guest_SkullAndJones_*

Guest_SkullAndJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:50 AM

Update:I'm an idiot.He started jumping out of his tank to get away from the crayfish so while he was out i examined him closely to find that he does indeed have six anal fin spikes(lol).The last three were needle like and lay flat all the time.I didn't misidentify the black trim though.Although it doesn't look as dark as the trim in those pictures and it doesn't extend to the spikes.Its just on the fin part.I did some research.The creek behind my place is called Sugar Orchard Creek.It drains into Crooked Creek and Crooked Creek drains into White River.So i think there's a good chance its an Ozark.I have to second Brian on Isaac's photographs of Ozarks.They look just like the one i had.Except for the lack of trim.He could of just been a genetic oddball.When I catch some more and get some film i'm going to take some photos.I'm also going to photograph the other species in my area.There aren't many but i can't identify them.

#12 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

Isaac, Brian speaks the truth. Wow! Why don't you introduce yourself in the video and photography section? I'm really glad you've joined us, and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Todd

#13 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

Isaac, Brian speaks the truth. Wow! Why don't you introduce yourself in the video and photography section? I'm really glad you've joined us, and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Todd

Thanks Todd. I'll take your advice and introduce myself in the photo and video section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users