Hello from NW Ohio

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Just found the forum and this place is great. I've been keeping natives for about 14 years now. I have an 125 gallon tank that I am setting up. Not sure what I'm gooing to put in it yet. I guess I will see what I catch first.
Pedro

#2 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

Welcome to the forum Pedro! Glad to have ya on board. You could fit a lot of darters(my favorite)in a 125 gallon...if you're into that sort of thing. :biggrin:

#3 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

I had four Log perch Darters last year in a community tank.

#4 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:38 AM

Chubs building a nest would be neat to see.

#5 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:53 AM

Weome Pedro! I think that tank would be just perfect for some sunfish, esspecialy pumpkinseeds. These fish have great personalities, are very pretty and if your lucky they just might spawn in the tank.

#6 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

Welcome, Pedro! There are several NANFA members in our area. I'm looking forward to getting wet soon. I'll probably stay out of the Maumee until the walleye run is over.

#7 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. Not sure what I'm going to keep. I might go with gar or grass picks.Maybe saugeyes,I don't know.I'll let you all know what I decide. I haven't kept any of three I listed any tips?

#8 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:30 AM

Loooong ago I took care of an ~ 200 gallon tank for a small NE Ohio college and we were given a couple extra fingerling saugeyes...anyways, I found them to be quite a pain to keep. A steady diet of fathead minnows, creek chubs, blacknose dace, and goldfish didn't seem to give him the nutritional requirements, or perhaps some parasites, but they all developed what looked like hole in the head disease. I had similar experiences with yellow perch so I chalked it up to something in the larger percid diet that wasn't being met or an inadequacy in lifesupport/captive care conditions. That said, the tank had a Magnum 350 with two biowheels, and two large penguin hang on back power filters, and I did weekly 20ish% water changes. I later went with a small longnose gar, but even such a long tank doesn't have that great of depth to it and turning around becomes a chore. I think you might find grass pickerel better inhabitants because larger fish that are often found with them, like bullheads and rock bass, could also be kept in the same tank.

#9 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

I have a grass pickerel and a bullhead in a 65 gallon tank. I really enjoy them. The grass pickerel was fun to raise. I fed small guppies at first, now it will eat commercial fish food, earthworms, and any other small fish I offer it. It just recently began eating the commercial food, it was a picky eater until it reached 9 inches, wouldn't eat anything that wasn't moving. Now it begs for food. Bullheads, of course, eat anything.

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

I had a similar situation to what Matt described but did have decent success with the Sander sp. We had a sauger, saugeye, and a walleye all in the tank along with several gar and bullheads. This was in a 220 I think at Heidelberg College. We went through a tun of feeder fish, the Sander sp. did fine but I certainly would not want to pay to feed a group of them myself. I would agree with Susan if you want predators go with pickerel, maybe a gar but a Florida gar from a pet shop would be better than a longnose. Also bullheads, rock bass, or maybe warmouth should work with the pickerel or Florida gar.

#11 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

Thanks everyone! I think I might go with Grass Picks. Does anyone know of any place close to Putnam county in NW Ohio I can catch some?

#12 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

Grass pickerel are actually relatively common in NW Ohio. Look for them in weedy farm field drainage ditches. They spawn in April and usually young can be found easily by late May or early June.

#13 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

Hi Pedro,

You're in grass pickerel central in Putnam county. Check out drainage ditches leading into Cranberry Creek and Riley Creek around Ottawa, Columbus Grove, Pandora and Bluffton. What you're looking for are over hanging grass "benches" that are little floodplain bars forming in the channel. The deeper the pool around it, and the more undercut the bank, the better the chance to find one.

If you happen catch least darter, Etheostoma microperca, please let me know. It's been a few years since anyone has looked at them over that area. They're special concern, so please put them back. But localities would be much appreciated! Maybe once the dust settles with my spring schedule, we can meet out in the field.

Todd

#14 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

Thanks again guys. Can't wait to get out and catch some fish . If I happen across any least darters I'll be sure to let you know.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users