Filtration for 125 Gallon Aquarium

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

I am putting together a bigger tank than I have ever had. I am not sure what the best method of filtration would be. I had planned to run an overflow to a 55 gallon underneath with a bio ball chamber, sump area with pump. My larger tanks have always been salt so this was the preferred method (substiute bioballs with live rock). Am I over complicating things or does this sound good?

Thanks

#2 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

question is kinda broad,

tailor your filtration to get what you want from the tank

sumps are good because they are cheap, and can be modified easily, but they are not suitable in all applications

there is a ton of information available on the net about sumps, and aquarium filtration in general

remember

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND !!

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

My biggest tank is a 100 gallon, it has two big canister filters on it. I've never used a sump. If you go that route, I'd like to hear about it (and see pictures.)

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

Sumps work great in freshwater. Just be sure to have some sort of mechanical filtration, at least a filter sock, before the bioballs, or you'll end up fouling the bioballs with sediment and having to wash them, which knocks back your bacteria colonies. Mechanical filtration also allows you to remove detritus before it is converted into ammonia. Canister filters also work great, they're just expensive.

#5 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

I am using the Rena xp4 and xp3 canister filters on my 125gallon. I thought about using a sump on that tank but was worried about co2 loss.

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

That's a good point. If you have a high-tech planted tank with CO2 injection, you would probably be better off with canisters.

#7 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

That's great guys! Exactly what I wanted to know. I read so much on the internet I wanted to ask the experts. I will mill over planting or not and go from there.

Thanks!

#8 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

Ok, next question for you super smartys. My tank will be 3 feet off of the floor so into the aquarium will be 4.5 feet. I figure with 2 90 degree elbows and two returns I will have about 9 feet of head pressure. Also I need to 180 move my water (125 gallons aquarium + 55 sump) five times an hour for 900 gallons per hour. I know my sump wont be full, but it works as an estimate. By my calculations I need a danner model 18 pump. Does this sound right, or are my fish going to be blown away.

Thanks

#9 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

Ok, I thought about it and my tank won't push that much water down the drain pipe so I am going to a smaller pump. I will post pics and results once I am finished. Thanks for all of the advice.

Rick

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users