Whats the matter here??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:58 PM

I have people ask me about fish. I would have no problem sending fish. But I would also like to know where these people live in general. I do not need to have a full address just a general location or something so I can see if you have those fish you ask about in your local waters. I am obviously talking to the newcommers to keeping native fish. So ya why not get on your profile card and update it and let people know where you are. Unless you are a convict then you can send me a PM :D/

#2 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

I don't mind sending fish to somebody if I have them to spare, or keeping an eye out for something for somebody when I go out. Even if he lives in the mapped range of the fish. Just because a map says that a fish is there, does not mean the fish is there, or that he can find it. Also, as I noted in another post, some hobbyists here are fishkeeping hobbyists, but not fish collecting hobbyists. Maybe they are not healthy enough to get into a stream and collect. Or maybe they just are not interested in that aspect of the hobby; they would prefer to buy, trade, or beg for fish. That's alright with me. I have been a tropical fish keeper for nearly twenty years; no collecting involved in that. Some people want to treat their native fish hobby the same way. That's fine. I will be happy to help out as I can. I am still fairly new at collecting myself, but I now find it to be at least as fun as keeping the fish. So looking for something for somebody, or taking a few extras while I'm collecting for myself, is not a problem.

I do agree that it is ridiculous that many people don't include their location information in their profiles. Do they think we are going to come to their hometowns and stalk them? Seeing that location information, without having to ask for it, can really help in a discussion. I really think the administrators should make it mandatory that people include that information when signing up. And "My Assistant" should pop up and remind existing users, when they log on, to update their profiles with that information. I think it's vital to many conversations here.

#3 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:57 PM

I'm a convict.

#4 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

I knew it!!!

But seriously put where you are from

#5 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:13 PM

I agree. And don't just put texas or something either...texas is HUGE! The species vary widely. Try something like southeast texas or atleast something that narrows it down a bit.

Chad

#6 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:52 AM

I don't mind sending fish to somebody if I have them to spare, or keeping an eye out for something for somebody when I go out. Even if he lives in the mapped range of the fish. Just because a map says that a fish is there, does not mean the fish is there, or that he can find it. Also, as I noted in another post, some hobbyists here are fishkeeping hobbyists, but not fish collecting hobbyists. Maybe they are not healthy enough to get into a stream and collect. Or maybe they just are not interested in that aspect of the hobby; they would prefer to buy, trade, or beg for fish. That's alright with me. I have been a tropical fish keeper for nearly twenty years; no collecting involved in that. Some people want to treat their native fish hobby the same way. That's fine. I will be happy to help out as I can. I am still fairly new at collecting myself, but I now find it to be at least as fun as keeping the fish. So looking for something for somebody, or taking a few extras while I'm collecting for myself, is not a problem.

I do agree that it is ridiculous that many people don't include their location information in their profiles. Do they think we are going to come to their hometowns and stalk them? Seeing that location information, without having to ask for it, can really help in a discussion. I really think the administrators should make it mandatory that people include that information when signing up. And "My Assistant" should pop up and remind existing users, when they log on, to update their profiles with that information. I think it's vital to many conversations here.

As usual I am always impressed with you wisdom and tact in answering questions Ed. I never thought of all those angles. And I do agree about the maps. The fish are not always where the maps say they should be. Especially on the outer fringes of their teritory. And about the part of being not able to go out for them selves that is very kind to think of that. So with all that fluff/mush stuff said, anyone not able to collect for any handicap reason at all contact me with a private message and I will be more than willing to help.

#7 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:46 PM

I'm a convict.

I breed convicts.

I agree, locations under the user name really help. Especially when people want to identify a fish. Knowing where someone is from can really help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users