NC sat afternoon outing..

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jasonv123_*

Guest_jasonv123_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Well I took a freind to a few local streams, it was nice too see the water down for a while.
Below are some images on the scene. We started out seining and caught several tesselated darters off the bat. Then caught one nice seagreen darter, and about 5 yellowfin shiners. I wasnt sure they were yellowfins until i took a closer look.

I brought all the shiners home, and the one seagreen darter and a few of the tesselated's. After I acclimated them to there new enviroment for a while, I came back in with a nice surprise. The yellowfins were in color! I have tried to capture this as how i see it, but im sure most of you know this is no easy task.

But here are a few pics...

Im going back out to the same spot next weekend hopefully, and try for a few madtoms, and a few more seagreen darters.

My buddys first time sampling a creek

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Ive uploading a video now that shows them better...

Michael

Edited by jasonv123, 20 March 2010 - 09:09 PM.

#2 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

Those shiners are quite stunning. I need a bigger tank for some more shiners!

#3 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:16 AM

great pics....can you post some of your Etheostoma thalassinum

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:18 AM

The jury's still out on the proper name for those shiners in the Broad River basin. Ed Menhinick's book (1991) calls them yellowfin, but qualifies that name saying the Broad River ones are "intermediate" between typical yellowfin from the Savannah River to the south and greenhead shiner to the east. Fritz' SC book (2009) calls then greenhead, and various other folks believe they're a distinct species worthy of their own name. "Broad River shiner" and "Piedmont shiner" are the unofficial names I've seen for it. Whatever they are, they're gorgeous! Didn't get any fieryblacks?

#5 Guest_jasonv123_*

Guest_jasonv123_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

Diddnt see a one! Ive never caught fiery blacks, to be honest im still new at this, this was my most sucsessful outing since ive been trying this out. I have always been a field herper, reptiles lately have gotten bored for me, but i have been always poking in creeks at fish, and its easier to take a few home were everyone can enjoy them.

I was hoping for a few,(fiery blacks) and a madtom or 2, but spring is just starting so hopefully i will turn a few up.

As soon as i get this video uploaded it shows everything better in the tank.

Far as the scientific name of the yellowfin shiner and or range, it beats me however they are beautiful fish.

Mike

#6 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:26 PM

I almost posted a response "Are you sure those aren't Greenhead shiners?" before taking a look at the pictures again and noticing the yellow fins instead of white. I collected Greenheads from the Catawba a few weeks ago and they have bright white fins. Very interesting seeing the variation between basins.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

You can't tell a N. lutipinnis by the color of the fins... there are red, orange, yellow, and (yes) white finned yellowfin shiners... all of them beautiful and hardy aquarium residents!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_jasonv123_*

Guest_jasonv123_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:13 AM

You can thank youtube for the crappy compression of the video.

Mike

#9 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

Mike, is there a fantail darter in your video too? Slightly flatter head profile than tesselated, and horizontal stripe through eye.

The greenhead x redlip hybrids I've seen in NE Gaston County look very much like Broad River or yellowfin shiners.

Michael: what river basin do the white-finned yellowfins live in? I'd love to see pix.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

Michael: what river basin do the white-finned yellowfins live in? I'd love to see pix.

I got some from around here(so Upper Oconee River drainage) that I have taken pictures of a long long time ago that fired up in the tank and had white fins... I will look around tonight and see if I can find a picture.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

Gerald, here is a pic of some white-finned yellowfin shiners from Aiken County in the Savannah River drainage. Confusing, huh??

Attached Images

• nlutipinnis04.jpg

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

That's them... and from the side, in a tank, their heads are metallic-yellow-green-neon colored. Add here is a pic that is actually my wallpaper on my work computer... Notice the pectorals on the first fish (farthest left in the pciture) in the group.

I'm editing while Dustin is posting... but we are in agreement.

yellowfins.jpg

Edited by Michael Wolfe, 22 March 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#13 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

That's them... and from the side, in a tank, their heads are metallic-yellow-green-neon colored.

Like this....

Attached Images

• nlutipinnis03.jpg

#14 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

Thanks Dustin. BTW to anyone gathering ideas on how to collect, don't EVER put that many fish in a bucket for more than about one minute! I suspect Dustin did this for a quick photo only. They will deplete the oxygen and/or poison themselves with ammonia very quickly at that density! That pic has at least 3x the fish density I would feel safe with, even in cool water.

Gerald, here is a pic of some white-finned yellowfin shiners from Aiken County in the Savannah River drainage. Confusing, huh??

#15 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

Wow! Incredible photos! Thanks for sharing!

Brian

#16 Guest_jasonv123_*

Guest_jasonv123_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

Mike, is there a fantail darter in your video too? Slightly flatter head profile than tesselated, and horizontal stripe through eye.

The greenhead x redlip hybrids I've seen in NE Gaston County look very much like Broad River or yellowfin shiners.

Yes the one your speaking of is a fantail, i forgot he was in there..lol. Thanks for all the pics of other yellowins/greens. If you check my post profile, you see i came here to find out what these fish were.

I had found these fish in a creek yeaaarrrs ago and always wondered what they were. These were ultimately the fish that got me into this.

Take care

Michael

BTW Dustin, let me know if you wont to head out one weekend, im sure im still doing this the wrong way..lol.

#17 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

Yup those "Hydrophlox" shiners (yellowfin, greenhead, redlip, saffron, rainbow, etc) have really great OH-WOW potential for getting folks hooked on native fish. I love to find a big spawning mass of them on a chub nest in a little shallow creek and bring folks to see them. For viewing from shore they're even better than redbelly dace. And you just happen to live in the Hydrophlox epicenter.

#18 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

Thanks Dustin. BTW to anyone gathering ideas on how to collect, don't EVER put that many fish in a bucket for more than about one minute! I suspect Dustin did this for a quick photo only. They will deplete the oxygen and/or poison themselves with ammonia very quickly at that density! That pic has at least 3x the fish density I would feel safe with, even in cool water.

I want to back up what Gerald says. Lots of fish in a small container is not a good idea. Dustin and I came across this huge school of yellowfin breeding on a chub nest and had to get some for a few photos. We barely skirted the edge and still pulled up that many. Most were released after the photos.

Edited by ipchay61, 22 March 2010 - 08:33 PM.

#19 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

Wow!
I've seen you guys talking about those shiners but never appreciated how beautiful they are.

Any pics of captives not in breeding color?
How far southeast do the go in NC? I know someone said piedmont. How far from Sandhills?

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

Any pics of captives not in breeding color?

Mike, look back at post 12... there are 6 shiners in that photo, taken in my 75 gallon tank... so they are captives... all six shiners were of the same species caught at the same time and had been in the tank for over a year and a half... the two on the right are not really colored up the four on the left are... some are more easily excited than others... we have talked about this a lot, but sometimes it is the water temp after a change, or maybe just the clean water, sometimes just the food, and sometimes I think it is just because they want to...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users