#1 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

1-17-07

Air temp 25 - 30 F
Water temp 36 F
Wind WNW average 17mph

Water conditions: clear / mild waves. Very little ice in the Detroit river. Ice covered lagoons and canals inland and not sampled

Fish species:
Emerald shiner
Blackchin shiner (?)
Sand shiner
Unknown shiner (Very high likelihood this was a Silver shiner, MI state endangered fish)
Rock bass
Juvenile sunfish sp. (roughly Identified as Bluegill)
Smallmouth Bass
Banded Killifish
Tubenosed goby
Round goby

Unidentified Esox sp. seen

Amphibians:
Mudpuppy

Invertebrates:
Zebra mussel
Northern crayfish (O viridis)
Ponto caspian amphipod (Echinogammarus ischnus)

Present where myself and Teleost.
Started around 11:00 am ended around 3:00 pm
Collected with Dip nets and seine along shore. Mostly rock flipping and dipnetting undercuts in banks or in vegetation. Unfortunately no photos taken as my camera batteries died.

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:15 PM

I had a great time getting in the water despite the nets freezing in a matter of seconds when exposed to the wind. Even though I live very close to Lake Michigan, I've never had the chance to sample it's waters. This was my first time in any on the great lakes waters with a net. I was impressed with the water quality as well as the distinct habitat types in this location. I honestly expected a somewhat sterile place but the opposite was true. This was the first time I've seen a mudpuppy as well as a tubenose goby. I hate to admit that I found the tubenose goby rather attractive. As nice as the tubenose looked, it wasn't enough to save them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users