Underwater pictures from Arkansas from the past year

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:11 PM

I just recently started contributing to this forum, and I thought I'd introduce myself properly. My name is Isaac Szabo, and I'm located in Northwest Arkansas. One of my favorite activities is taking underwater pictures of native fish while snorkeling. I thought I'd share a few of my photos from the past year. All of these were taken in the Arkansas Ozark Mountains.

Orangethroat Darter, Big Piney Creek:
Posted Image

Smallmouth Bass, Buffalo River:
Posted Image

Longnose Gar, Buffalo River:
Posted Image

Hornyhead Chub, Big Spring. This guy was guarding his nest:
Posted Image

Banded Darter, Buffalo River:
Posted Image

Duskystripe Shiner, Big Spring:
Posted Image

Longear Sunfish and Smallmouth Bass, Buffalo River:
Posted Image

Banded Sculpin, Bear Creek:
Posted Image

I think this is an Ozark Minnow, Notropis nubilus. Can anyone confirm this ID?
Posted Image

Hornyhead Chub, Longear Sunfish, and Whitetail Shiner:
Posted Image

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:05 AM

Welcome Isaac! Those are all absolutely stunning pictures, and I would like to say that I would definitely use any/all of those as desktop backgrounds if given half a chance! ;)

#3 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:03 AM

Wow wow wow wow wow. I am so glad you're joined our community here Issac.

Yes, that's nubilus. He seems pretty fired up to be off the nest, but that might just be my ignorance about what they're doing in the wild.

I am completely jealous of the crystal clear water you get to work in! That makes "Casper Clear" look cloudy lol (you'll learn about El Snorkelmeister before long, I'm sure :)

What are you shooting with?

Thanks for taking time to post these pics!

Todd

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:10 AM

Wow, those pics are awesome. That Duskystripe Shiner is amazing and so is that Gar, I'm blown away

#5 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

Yes Issac you are a welcome addition here. Photography equipment has gotten inexpensive and reliable enough to get it in the hands of snorkelers. There is so much amazement to see in our waters. We have had 2 convention out your way in the recent years and a repeat is planned for MO in a few more years.
Your pics are high color, very vivid. All but one pic shows a very clean substrate.
Please keep us posted on your spring activities. We have all had cabin fever and eager to start testing the waters as you can see from recent posts.
If you ever want to get over to Chattanooga i will show you some new species. A bonus to this pleasure as it seems every drainage can offer new species in North America.
Watching those Chub nests is a wild scene! We have River Chubs over here. Blueheads to the East.
Casper

#6 Guest_BUGGEEK_*

Guest_BUGGEEK_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

These pictures make me wish I didn't live in an area that I was afraid to swim in. Very impressive! Add me to the list of people wanting to know your camera setup.

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

wow wow wow....may i ask your setup? im looking to get into underwater pictures...those are amazing and welcome

#8 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

Holy cow, those are nice photos!

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you'll fit right in!

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

i checked out yoru site. all your pics are truly amazing.

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

If you ever want to get over to Chattanooga i will show you some new species. A bonus to this pleasure as it seems every drainage can offer new species in North America.
Watching those Chub nests is a wild scene! We have River Chubs over here. Blueheads to the East.
Casper

Hey Casper, are you hosting another South Chick adventure this year? I promise I'll wear better shoes and practice whitewater walking first...

#11 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

those photos are amazing, among the clearest and most colorful underwater photos i ever seen.

#12 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

Thanks everyone. These are all natural light photos shot with Nikon D300 and D90 cameras. The lenses used were the Nikon 60mm f/2.8 macro and the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 wide angle zoom. The housing is a cheap DICAPac WP-S10 that I modified (it is pretty much useless in its stock state).

#13 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

Welcome Isaac! Those are all absolutely stunning pictures, and I would like to say that I would definitely use any/all of those as desktop backgrounds if given half a chance! ;)

Thanks, Derek. I don’t mind if you use these photos for your background.

#14 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

I'll add on to the kudos and be the second to request higher rez copies for desktop backgrounds, although I completely understand if you wish not to. Those are amazing photographs, with perfect framing, lighting, and all the other technical aspects over which I am personally mostly useless.

Color me impressed. More! More! ;P

Put 'em in a book and I'd buy it.

#15 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

I am completely jealous of the crystal clear water you get to work in! That makes "Casper Clear" look cloudy lol (you'll learn about El Snorkelmeister before long, I'm sure :)

Todd

Most of the water around here is not that clear, but I am lucky to have a few good spots close by.

#16 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

Yes Issac you are a welcome addition here. Photography equipment has gotten inexpensive and reliable enough to get it in the hands of snorkelers. There is so much amazement to see in our waters. We have had 2 convention out your way in the recent years and a repeat is planned for MO in a few more years.

Thanks Casper. Yes, our waters are full of interesting and beautiful things. I do regret that I was not yet part of NANFA when the convention was held in my home state.

Your pics are high color, very vivid. All but one pic shows a very clean substrate.
Please keep us posted on your spring activities. We have all had cabin fever and eager to start testing the waters as you can see from recent posts.
Casper

Thanks for the invitation - I’d love to explore the Chattanooga waters with you sometime.

#17 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

I'll add on to the kudos and be the second to request higher rez copies for desktop backgrounds, although I completely understand if you wish not to. Those are amazing photographs, with perfect framing, lighting, and all the other technical aspects over which I am personally mostly useless.

Color me impressed. More! More! ;P

Put 'em in a book and I'd buy it.

Thanks khudgins. I’m fine with people using these small pictures for personal use such as desktop backgrounds. However, I’m not comfortable with making higher resolution copies available for free since fine art nature and underwater photography is somewhat of a business for me.

#18 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

wow nice pictures =D> please post more lol :mrgreen:

#19 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

Thanks everyone. These are all natural light photos shot with Nikon D300 and D90 cameras. The lenses used were the Nikon 60mm f/2.8 macro and the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 wide angle zoom. The housing is a cheap DICAPac WP-S10 that I modified (it is pretty much useless in its stock state).

Really excellent shots! How much processing did you do on the images? They look like saturation and contrast have been bumped, but could just be really colorful fish in very clear water.

I used to be a total purist and never did any digital adjustments to my photos. Now I've decided that I'm fine with anything that makes the image appear more as it did to my eye at the time I took it -- but enhancing it beyond that still feels like "cheating". :)

#20 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

In "clear" water there's dissolved sediment that takes an angry toll on light and color, even before the properties of water take their swipe. So I've never had a problem with making some "adjustments" to make it look right :)

Now reef aquarium pictures where people make things bonzo pink or blows my mind purple... Yeah, that's crap.

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users