Where Art Thou?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

Alrighty im not a plant hunter expert yet....but i seem to not find any yet....is it to early in the year? how long before they start growing? thanks

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

In Massachusetts? Yes, you are too early. Good enthusiasm, though.

It's been a while since I've spent a spring up there, but I might not spend too much time looking until May. Stuff will start to come out in April, I think, but slowly.

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

I was lucky enough to get out to the pond yesterday and today. Here, in North Georgia, even though it hasn't been consistently warm, in the shallowest areas of my farm pond, Ruppia sp seems to to be already out of control, Ludwigia sp are putting back out and Eleocharis sp is starting to poke through. I am already worried about aquatic veg control for the spring.

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

Will, I hope to set up a bog garden outside with my pitchers and whatnot. If you do any veg control, would you mind sharing?

I was lucky enough to get out to the pond yesterday and today. Here, in North Georgia, even though it hasn't been consistently warm, in the shallowest areas of my farm pond, Ruppia sp seems to to be already out of control, Ludwigia sp are putting back out and Eleocharis sp is starting to poke through. I am already worried about aquatic veg control for the spring.

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

hey feel free to mail me some overgrown plants!!!!

#6 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:43 AM

In NJ the ponds are still plantless. Its was a unseasonal 28 degrees last night. I hope my new grass seed survived it!

Edited by njJohn, 27 March 2010 - 09:43 AM.

#7 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:05 PM

Will, I hope to set up a bog garden outside with my pitchers and whatnot. If you do any veg control, would you mind sharing?

Surely, but I fear it will not be sophisticated. With temps on the rise, I intend to fertilize this weekend (and I hope I am not too late). I am not too worried about the Ludwigia, and I think that Chara will not be able to compete this year. The areas where Chara was most prevalent last summer is now about 6' deeper underwater than it was in September. The Ruppia in the 2.5 ft deep mud bar is 2 ft tall and looking like it is greening up - this will be my main battle. I plan to manually remove what I can late this week (anyone want any? it's loaded with inverts - hah!) before applying fertilizer this weekend. In 20+ years of owning this pond,we have never had any type of aquatic veg problems, and now my father wants it gone and is considering herbicide, but I prefer other methods. Our bass fishery has been spectacular this fall (since the last 5 years the pond level has been down anywhere from 5-12').

#8 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

Many plants can be found year round in Ma. I collect all manner of live green plants through the ice.
The shallows are barren but in clear lakes lots of plants stay green all season.
Everything is so flooded right now, nothing is normal but if you walk along the windward shores of larger ponds, you will find loose plants blown up on shore.
Otherwise you'd prolly need a boat to get much now but beware of the flood waters.

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

yeah i saw some dead plants along the shore...but im def not going in the deep water for plants lol...i can wait

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users