i need a fish safe Chemical Management for cattails on pond

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

we have two ponds with way to many cattail @ the end of last year and i need a cure.
but do not want to harm the fish

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:43 AM

Safe (even for fish) and chemical management really don't go together. Have a shovel?

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

Here's what NC Coop Extension agent Bill Lord told me, in reference to stormwater detention wetlands and ponds: Mix up some 2 to 3 percent Glyphosate, put on a rubber glove and smear it by hand on the above-water stalks of actively growing cattails. Do this when you have a couple days forecast of no rain. Little if any should get into the water until the cattails have died and the glyphoste deteriorated. The roots/rhizomes will resprout so it may take a couple years to eradicate. Learn what the young seedlings look like so you can pull them out before they get too big. It'll be a long-term battle if there's other cattails within a half mile of you.

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

Safe (even for fish) and chemical management really don't go together. Have a shovel?

its a loosing battle for 5 years now.last year we even took a weed eater to them cut them below the water line its just to much work from a boat
we have 7 pods around 20 yards long and 5 yards wide.chemicals are a last option and it that time before the birds start nesting in them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users