In our Forefathers' time

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

I saw a mention of this in the Memphis Net & Twine catalog.

From
George Washington: a biographical companion
By Frank E. Grizzard
page Fisheries 111

You can read more through Google Books.

Attached Images

• w1.JPG
  • W2.JPG

#2 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

I saw a mention of this in the Memphis Net & Twine catalog.

From
George Washington: a biographical companion
By Frank E. Grizzard
page Fisheries 111

You can read more through Google Books.

George Washington had carp in 1793? So it's all his fault??

Dean

#3 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:08 AM

George Washington had carp in 1793? So it's all his fault??

The word "carp" was used for different rough fish in the past. Not sure where I read that recently (maybe even on this forum).

#4 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

The word "carp" was used for different rough fish in the past. Not sure where I read that recently (maybe even on this forum).

Actually, now that I think about it wasn't that an American Currents article?

#5 Guest_kalawatseti_*

Guest_kalawatseti_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

Actually, now that I think about it wasn't that an American Currents article?

Yep. Summer 2005. Raasch, Maynard S. and Christopher Scharpf. Historical Use and Misuse of the Name “Carp”

18th-century references to carp were likely referring to quillback (Carpiodes cyprinus). Surmises that Thomas Jefferson may be the first documented native fish hobbyist.

Chris

#6 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

Great post! Thank you for sharing.

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

There are remains of fish herding structurs (i.e. wiers and cross vanes) that had pivot points for huge dipnets and holds for fyke nets and small barges in the Potomac that supposedly Washington thought of or commissioned. Not only were they probably catching quillback, but striped bass, white catfish, Atlantic sturgeon, and shorthead redhorse would have been abundant and valuable commercial fish in that time.

#8 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

It's a safe bet if there are colonial era weir remains in tidal rivers, they stand on the spot of native weirs which may be thousands of years old. The first Europeans recognized the natives' skill at picking spots and appropriated them. Thanks to smallpox, many weirs and village sites were abandoned when Europeans arrived.

If I'm not mistaken, shad [in season] would have been a prime target as would herring, striped bass and sturgeon. It can be fascinating to read what bones are IDed from the native kitchen middens. They ate everything they could catch.

Jefferson was a complete naturalist in the truest sense of the word. He's an Idol of mine for that [and other] reasons.
He is sometimes cited as the first American archaeologist for the [crude] work he did excavating and documenting the contents of Indian mounds.

#9 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

If what I read in Freshwater Fishes of New Hampshire. Weirs and nets were used to harvest migratory shad, salmon, lamprey, and even brook trout. The brook trout harvest lasted until the late 19th or early 20th century (forgot which) and was done commercially and quite harmful by that time. The colonial harvest of lamprey was such a staple on the Merrimack river they were nicknamed Derryfield Beef after an old name for Manchester New Hampshire.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 03 April 2010 - 11:43 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users