Stocking ideas? 110 gal brackish

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kyryah_*

Guest_kyryah_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

I have a 110 gallon brackish tank, so far stocked with two Violet gobies, green Sailfin mollies and Sheepsheads.

I already have a hogchoker, Florida flagfish and mummichogs on my list of "maybe's..."

Any other stocking suggestions? I want to stick with southern-east coast fishes. My tank has 1.012 SG and I am not scared of letting the algae grow for the grazers, lol.

Kristina

#2 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

It's nice you have such a big tank to work with. I will say that I don't believe flagfish can take brackish water. The rest of your stocking list sounds fine. If you don't mind having small fish in such a large tank, I would also recommend rainwater killies. If I had a large brackish tank, I'd go for something larger like fat sleepers, but the small fish may end up becoming food.

#3 Guest_kyryah_*

Guest_kyryah_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I thought that the flagfish could handle the brackish, I guess I was mistaken. I do LOVE the fat sleepers, gobies, blennies and dragonets are my favorite fish by far, but as you said, I really don't want to lose my smaller fish, either. I have been working with my mollies for a long time now, and my males reach about 6" with huge sails. They are a great centerpiece, especially since I rarely see the Violets.

I am really surprised that the Sheepsheads don't have more of a niche in the actual aquarium industry - they are some of the most interesting and fun to watch fish that I have ever had. Some of them have beautiful blue iridescence on their backs, some are yellow and orange on their bellies, and all are chock full of personality.

Kristina

#4 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

I am really surprised that the Sheepsheads don't have more of a niche in the actual aquarium industry - they are some of the most interesting and fun to watch fish that I have ever had. Some of them have beautiful blue iridescence on their backs, some are yellow and orange on their bellies, and all are chock full of personality.

I've always been a bit surprised at how uncommon they are. Seeing them at the Baltimore Aquarium and then searching for information is what got me into native fish in the first place. Of course, I've been keeping natives for a couple of years now and I still don't have any. Oops?

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

I have a 110 gallon brackish tank, so far stocked with two Violet gobies, green Sailfin mollies and Sheepsheads.

I already have a hogchoker, Florida flagfish and mummichogs on my list of "maybe's..."

Any other stocking suggestions? I want to stick with southern-east coast fishes. My tank has 1.012 SG and I am not scared of letting the algae grow for the grazers, lol.

Kristina

Catch what you can catch and throw them in there. You have my full support :-)

#6 Guest_kyryah_*

Guest_kyryah_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

The sad thing is I can't catch anything, lol. I live in Northern Michigan. I have to make others do it for me :)

Kristina

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

The sad thing is I can't catch anything, lol. I live in Northern Michigan. I have to make others do it for me :)

Kristina

Where's the fun in that? You're gonna have to plan a trip to the Mississippi gulf coast.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users