Ontario Plants

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:25 PM

I have ben looking to start a Native Tank, and I was curious about adding some live plants.

I want to know if there are any Low Light Ontario Native plants that I could collect, I dont really want to go to the effort of using CO2 or fertilizers.

Hopefully I am not asking too much, any help would be great thanks

#2 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

No one has anything on this topic?

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

There are a few members up your way - hopefully they will chime in.

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:42 AM

What part of Ontario? there are a couple different climate zones in the Provence and vegetation changes with them. I'm rather familiar with what is around South west Ontario as it is the same as what we have here in South east Michigan with little difference.

Edited by Brooklamprey, 16 August 2010 - 06:43 AM.

#5 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:37 AM

Well, not sure about low light plants, but I personally go to all kinds of water-bodies and collect plants. For low light plants I would just look around in shaded ares or areas covered with floating vegetation and see what is under the water. Some will live, and some will not. I do find that in some cases all of a certain species will die off except one little piece and that piece may grow into a large hardy plant with time. I got a bunch of this plant I found and still do not know what it is. All of them died except a couple leaves on one stem. That plant is now growing quite well in several tanks. It took a while though.

#6 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

I live in the GTA

I picked up a few plants over the summer, and the only one that survived was some vals

The plants did exactly as you said, in that they died off completly in my tank and now are just starting to show signs of life. I currently have 3 very tiny vals growing painfully slow in my low light tank.

I would like to try and find some mosses this coming summer to add to my tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users