Minnow Traps in MO, legality, and total confusion

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_newtothis_*

Guest_newtothis_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:59 PM

Hey guys,

I do not really want to keep fish, but I'd like to put out some minnow traps and see what I can find out in the wild. I live in MO. I know I need a fishing license, but that's only where the fun begins. If anyone can clear up some of my questions, it would be of great help.

1. It states in the regs that live bait can be trapped, but at every Conservation area but one it says trapping is prohibited lol

2. State parks do not say anything so I cannot tell if it is legal or not

3. Rivers and flooded areas around them don't have any signs with rules or anything. Legal or not?

4. I understand tresspassing is illegal, but if there is a flooded area under a bridge, that's public access?

5. Highway ditches. I assume this is public domain, so would the state regs apply to these. I know in some areas these ditches can hold water year round.

6. Trapping crayfish to eat... I know it's a little off topic but I cannot find any information on this at all... is trapping crayfish the same as trapping live bait? Or if it says you cannot trap live bait, but state law allows trapping crayfish, can you still trap crayfish?

I know it is a lot of questions but I cannot make any sense of the regulations.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:27 AM

The talk to the people that write and are in charge of the regulations. IMO your state has some of the nicest workers and conservation officers. It also sounds like you're maknig some really broad interpretations of some things and over thinking others.

#3 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hey, I grew up around Lake of the Ozarks and went to school at MSU (Springfield). I moved here for work and to start paying taxes ;).

Honestly, the most success I've had is by asking around: there's probably someone who lives on a nice section of stream that could care less if you want to seine some minnows. Do you have personal friends or family friends with a farm along a stream? I had a couple of local guys around Springfield who I asked and were glad to let me bring my buckets and nets to seine once in a while. One guy I hardly ever saw, the other would see me out there and would talk my ear off about everything under the sun, but he was a nice guy.

Also, most conservation areas will probably prohibit collecting, which includes trapping minnows. Some public fishing spots are fine to use throw-nets and traps though, so look for "public fishing" areas on the MDC website.

In Missouri there are plenty of places you can seine or set traps -- just figure out what minnow species you want based upon which drainage they are in - then try to find someone who lives around there, or some public fishing spots, etc.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users