Sunfish?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Carl_*

Guest_Carl_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:23 PM

Can anyone ID this little guy? It is only about an inch long. I am thinking Green sunfish or Blugill. What do you think?

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

Okay I am saying the "H" word. Looks like a L. macrochirus x L. cyanellus Bluegill x green to me, mouth is rather large for a bluegill, and body seems rather elongate. Though I would expect to see more of a margin around the anal fin.

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:25 PM

I agree looks like a young Greengill or yes the more proper way to put it is blugill x greensunfish hybrid. Where did you catch it?

#4 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:46 AM

I go with those other two assumptions as well. It is definatly not a pure bluegill or green.

Could be another hybrid. Could be another specie, but none I have seen, and I have seen most all of them this size. :grin:

#5 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:25 AM

Just you wait till Irate sees this post,

JUST YOU WAIT!!!!

#6 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

could it be a small rock bass?

#7 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

Definitely not a little rockbass, here is a pic of one...

#8 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

thats a rock bass and not a shadow bass?

#9 Guest_Carl_*

Guest_Carl_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:44 PM

I agree looks like a young Greengill or yes the more proper way to put it is blugill x greensunfish hybrid. Where did you catch it?

I caught it in the West Branch of the Rocky river.

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

thats a rock bass and not a shadow bass?

yes it is a rock bass and shadow bass look prety much identical, at least the whole 3 I saw at the convention last fall. To my understanding there are those who still consider them the same species. I was told the couple I caught at the convention were shadow bass and honestly they didn't look any different from the rockbass I have caught in Ohio well out of shadow bass territory.

Were getting off topic here (sorry Carl) but here is a pic of a rock bass and a picture of a shadow bass. You tell me who's who. One of these pictures is from the Black River in Missouri and the other is from Muddy Creek in Ohio.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:21 PM

Just you wait till Irate sees this post,
JUST YOU WAIT!!!!

-SIGH- bluegill

I have tried to help them see the light.
I have tried, but I have failed. So be it!!

#12 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

I caught it in the West Branch of the Rocky river.

I have actually seen this Hybrid quite often in Ohio both naturally ocuring in lakes and stream and from hatcheries where they were produced because they tend to be larger than a green and more agressive and faster growing than a bluegill. They are actually raised on some aquaculture farms and sold as food fish. I visited one such farm in East Canton Ohio where a guy was raising these hybrids and selling them to a processing plant in Toronto Canada. He said that mainly the large oriental population of toronto was eating them.

#13 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:38 PM

-SIGH- bluegill

I have tried to help them see the light.
I have tried, but I have failed. So be it!!

I lean to bluegill too, although the mouth looks somewhat big and there's no dorsal fin spot visible in this picture. But the body coloration is right, same with the operculum. In my experience, even small greens have a brighter body color and some hint of color on the operculum edge. The bottom line is that both of these species are highly variable even without invoking the dreaded H word.

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:43 PM

The bottom line is that both of these species are highly variable even without invoking the dreaded H word.

My steadfast ally in the hybrid war! That settles it guys, you either agree with our Prez or you get kicked out of NANFA! This code shall be strictly enforced.

#15 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

I'm not seeing a Hybrid there either....It looks like a pretty typical bluegill.
Always be careful BTW about camera angles that can easily distort a species. I'm pretty sure that is what is going on here with the slimmer looking figure. But hey at least the fish is in focus.....

#16 Guest_Carl_*

Guest_Carl_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

I'm not seeing a Hybrid there either....It looks like a pretty typical bluegill.
Always be careful BTW about camera angles that can easily distort a species. I'm pretty sure that is what is going on here with the slimmer looking figure. But hey at least the fish is in focus.....

proportions are pretty accurate in this one. Thanks to everyone for their best guess.

#17 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:46 AM

I'm going to go with hybrid. I'm leaning towards bluegill and green. The shape of the body and mouth tell me green but most of the color says bluegill. I'm sure it has bluegill in it but am also sure it's not a pure bluegill, it lacks the black spot on the dorsal fin. That black spot is something I have seen on every pure bluegill I have ever seen. Greens also have a spot there but I don't know if all individuals of the species have it, perhaps it is a bluegill crossed with something else.

#18 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

I'm going to go with hybrid. I'm leaning towards bluegill and green. The shape of the body and mouth tell me green but most of the color says bluegill. I'm sure it has bluegill in it but am also sure it's not a pure bluegill, it lacks the black spot on the dorsal fin. That black spot is something I have seen on every pure bluegill I have ever seen. Greens also have a spot there but I don't know if all individuals of the species have it, perhaps it is a bluegill crossed with something else.

Looks like a bluegill to me, they don't always show the dorsal spot especially when that small. I've brought little sunnies home just to see what they turn out to be and have often had bluegills with no spot start showing it later as they got a bit larger.

#19 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

hybrid
I dont see a black spot on the dorsal fin

#20 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

Looks like a bluegill to me, they don't always show the dorsal spot especially when that small. I've brought little sunnies home just to see what they turn out to be and have often had bluegills with no spot start showing it later as they got a bit larger.

Well, perhaps it is a bluegill. It dosen't look like a pure bluegill to me though. Granted, juvi sunfish are very difficult to ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users