ShadSAgas

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Snookman_*

Guest_Snookman_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

Can shad be caught on a sabiki rig? If so, what color is best? I will be on a kayak in 40' of water with shad suspended at about 23'-26' deep so castnetting is not an option.

Thanks,
Justin

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:17 PM

Well, I haven't had a lot of experience fishing for shad, but they never showed any interest in either live bait or artificial. For me, anyway. So my guess would be NO, but I would love to hear from somebody who has actually tried it. That could be you!

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

My experience is with american and hickory shad and both will readily strike small shiney lures. Even during spawning runs they strike reflexively and after spawning, when on the feed they are aggressive predators and great fun on lite tackle.
I can see them hitting 3 and 4 at a time on a sabiki but they'd tear up the gear.

I realize you prolly mean threadfin which I'm ignorant on but maybe they're similar.

#4 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:15 AM

I frequently fish in water where Gizzard shad are large enough to take small lures I would be likely to use and never once caught one on hook and line. Maybe I'm "not doing it right"

Mike, I've been fascinated by the Hickory and American shad runs y'all experience after seeing a fishin' show highlight the run one season as a child. I know this is a tangent but I just have to know....what do they taste like and how do you prepare them?

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

I frequently fish in water where Gizzard shad are large enough to take small lures I would be likely to use and never once caught one on hook and line. Maybe I'm "not doing it right"

Mike, I've been fascinated by the Hickory and American shad runs y'all experience after seeing a fishin' show highlight the run one season as a child. I know this is a tangent but I just have to know....what do they taste like and how do you prepare them?

We did slow bake a good size american shad once. Several hours at low temps, 250 I think. A bit strong for my tastes but quite edible. The bones were soft and left intact, like pickled herring.
I don't think anyone eats hickories. They are very, very oily.
Not long ago, the last fish I got on my flyrod in the fall were hickories. I rinsed my gear well before storing for the winter but next spring the smell from my cork grip reeked out my car. :rolleyes:

Edited by mikez, 20 April 2010 - 08:45 PM.

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

Dorosoma shads are pretty dedicated planktivores from what I've read, so no lure is likely to work. Alosa shads are another matter. Skipjack are a popular sport/bait fish here; locals call them "Tennessee tarpon". They're caught mainly on spinners, I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users