Darter ID?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

I found this guy early this morning, I released him shortly after as I had no ID'ing material with me. Anyone know what it is>? Found in the Fox River, Waukesha WI

[attachment=10402:DSCN4500.JPG]
[attachment=10403:RSCN4501.JPG]

Thanks,
Nate

Edited by NVCichlids, 20 April 2010 - 10:00 AM.

#2 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

Your fish is a johnny darter (Etheostoma nigrum). WI does have a similar species, E. chlorosoma; however, there range is rather limited and they are not found in Fox River.

Blake

Edited by blakemarkwell, 20 April 2010 - 10:05 AM.

#3 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

Your fish is a johnny darter (Etheostoma nigrum). WI does have a similar species, E. chlorosoma; however, there range is rather limited and they are not found in Fox River.

Blake

I was really suprised with how large he/she is. I had never seen a darter as long as my finger before lol..

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

Blake

Thanks for IDing it before me, I saw it was brown with darker spots along the lateral line and was about to guess tesselate. I would have been wrong as it is outside the tesselates range. (just checked the tesselates range on natureserve to make sure).

#5 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

If you look closely, it has a bump on its forhead. Any ideas of what this is? I thought it reminded me of a rhino, but I cannot tell why it has it or what caused it.

#6 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

That's Johnny the Darter.

#7 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:14 AM

That's Johnny the Darter.

I heard somewhere that the species got its name because of one kept as a pet named Johnny. Apparently keeping darters goes back quite a ways.

Is the nose bump the trait to distinguish Johnnys from Tesselates?

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

I doubt that's the case. People just like to give people's names to organisms, from Johnny Jump-up to Robin Redbreast to the numerous fish named "Jack".

#9 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

No..that fish is "funky".

#10 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:51 AM

lol... i like that.. I didn't know as I have never seen a darter this big, and never seen a bump on one's nose.. just a unique rhino I gots..

#11 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

two new darters caught today... can you ID them?

[attachment=10434:RSCN4515.JPG]

[attachment=10433:RSCN4514.JPG]

#12 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

two new darters caught today... can you ID them?

[attachment=10434:RSCN4515.JPG]

[attachment=10433:RSCN4514.JPG]

i believe you again have caught more johnny darters

#13 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:34 PM

here is the list of darters in your state

My link

#14 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

I love these guys... they seem to be adapting well to take life.. already have flashing of the male to the female to entice her!

#15 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

I heard somewhere that the species got its name because of one kept as a pet named Johnny. Apparently keeping darters goes back quite a ways.

The distinguishing characters for the two are mainl 11 soft dorsal fin rays for johnny, 13-14 for tesselated. Also the infraorbital canal (line of pores around the eye, may need a scope) is interrupted in johnny and not in tesselated. But the easiest way to tell them apart is usually drainage.

#16 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

yep those are johnny darters. anyways, hey NANFA friends, havent been on in a while. My computer went crazy. :cool2:

#17 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

I love these guys... they seem to be adapting well to take life.. already have flashing of the male to the female to entice her!

If you don't already have them, set up some small caves in your tank. They spawn on the underside of rocks etc... and the male will guard the eggs. He will also get bold vertical bands on his sides and his head will turn jet black as he displays for the the female.

#18 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

If you don't already have them, set up some small caves in your tank. They spawn on the underside of rocks etc... and the male will guard the eggs. He will also get bold vertical bands on his sides and his head will turn jet black as he displays for the the female.

There are plenty of caves in the tank (I would know as my fish experience is primarily in pleco/dwarf cichlid breeding) I will post images of the tank later as my camera is recharging. I do have a video on youtube of them both just after arraiving into the holding tank.

Does that show breeding interest?

#19 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

Does that show breeding interest?

Yup, he's certainly looks hopeful.

#20 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

is there anything visual that I would be able to use when I am at the river to pick up more females? Is there certain barring in the fins or anything visual, or do you just have to hope to find males in breeding dress and throw them back?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users