Citico Ocoee Conasauga

48 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

Citico

aCiticoBuffalo.JPG

Bryce and i headed to the Citico on Sunday, April 11 to see some of the Buffalo Run. This spring has been quite unusual with the weather and the Buffalo's expected behavior not occurring. Winter was late departing and then spring hyper accelerating into summer temps and with no rain. The massive 2 or 3 day spawning event seen in the past did not occur but was sporatically spread over a couple weeks. Nonetheless we were able to observe many Buffalo, some large handsome River Redhorses, another sucker species, perhaps a Spotted Sucker, but the most fun was watching the sex parade of Darters.

aCiticoRedline1.JPG

aCiticoRedline.JPG aCiticoRedlineBlur.JPG

Being my first snorkel of the year i was very rusty working with my new gear and camera again. The light was shimmering in and made it more difficult to get my eye and the focus to lock on the desired point. Sculpins are easy enough but chasing a Redline for the perfect shot takes patience and friendly persausion.

It's near impossible to tell what you have qualitywise until you get home and download the images to your monitor. It seems that out of 100 shots only 10 will be worth saving and then only 1 or 2 worth sharing. Im disappointed i dont have better images to share with all of you but some are interesting nonetheless. It's a difficult undertaking getting photos of our native fishes in their natural habitat. Holding on in the current, orienting your body, watching the light and shadows, careful to not stir up silt or debris, adjusting camera settings on the fly, much less trying to get the fish to "pose" and hold still. Its a lot of fun though and i burn up the batteries trying. I think i need to buy a 3rd set.

aCiticoSculpin.JPG

Intense white markings on this Sculpin, i'm not sure i have ever seen that before. White, white.

aCiticoTNSnub.JPG

The Tennessee Snubnoses were all paired up and the males large and persistant chasing a female they had set their eyes on. The males blunt noses would brighten to translucent vivid green blue when they were getting on with it or encountering another male. It was a good show. They are certainly one of the prettist darters at this time of year.

alCiticoMuskTurtle.JPG

aCiticoMussel.JPG

aCiticoMudPuppy.JPG

Some of the other critters encountered during the day. It was the first time i saw a Mudpuppy cruising about. Heading upstream he was oblivious to our presence until we started trying to poke and pose him. He was probably eating the Buffalo eggs scattered about.

alCiticoWarpaint.JPG

My best shot of a moving minnow today. Plenty of well marked Warpaints but none frosty.
Bryce headed back to K-Town about 4pm and i stayed a couple 3 extra hours til the sun eased down. After Bryce left i could not get my new wetsuit zipped up the back. It kept hanging and i was cussing like a sailor and contorting my body every which a way, near frantic. Finally i gave up and got back in the 55 degree water with my back exposed. Brrr... i was only good for about 45 minutes and then near chilled to uncontrollable shivers i switched to hunting Dry Land Fish, to no success. Bad year for fungi in these parts. Ed and i were near skunked for an entire cross country GA, AL and MS Morel trek.

Ocoee

The next Friday, the 16th, Jeremy and i headed to the Ocoee for a hint of the Hiwassee. Hiwassee would have added more travel time and Jim reminded me how cold it would be and the water volumne intense. The Ocoee provides a easy dose of the Tennessee drainage fish though lacks the glorious Tangerines visitors want to see. The site on 411 offers an easy stop and we were soon amongst them on a beautiful, sexy fish day.

aOcoeeGilt1.JPG

The Gilt Darters were my favorite site fish this day. Lots of displaying and chasing. 2 male's territories overlapped and they did full side to side quivering displays, like 2 sailed warships blasting at each other. I struggled trying to get the master shot focused and wish i could fully share what i saw.

aOcoeeTNSnubPair.JPG

As in the Citico the Snubnoses were paired off and just as beautiful. The gravid females were unconcerned to my ever closing camera angles but the males were nervous at each attempted approach. Eventually some pairs would settle down and allow for some tight closeups.

aOcoeeBanded.JPG

I caught this emerald banded Banded but it took a look of relentless chasing to get a few shots. I was suprised how well he blended into the non vegetated surroundings, with the light rippling down. How much harder they would be to see in vertical green reeds.

About this time my camera screen went blank. Oh No! I played with the dial and buttons to no success and gave up. While having a lunch and a warmup break Jeremy offered me his back up camera, a Pentax with similiar functions. A quick tutouring gave me the go and we were soon back in the water. I decided to double up my wetsuits as chattering of teeth and quivering of muscles was taking the joy out of the sunshiney but cold water day. 2 suits works pretty good!
Later that evening i opened my Olympus and found a single bead of water centered on the USB port underneath the rubber gasket. Danger! I dryed the camera's interiors with tissue and gently blew them out and left the hatchs open through the night. The next day, thankfully, everything was ok.

aOcoee-StripedLamprey.JPG

Back in the water and what a shot, and i do wish it was better. I took about 25 or so. He was the king of the Striped Shiners that day, none bigger, nor as well marked. And certainly none other sporting his headgear.

aOcoee-SculpinSpheres.JPG

My last downstream float found me in a pool with a large Bass ( they eat all my favorite fish ) and a well tuberculed River Chub. The Chub was especially wary and though i looked i could not find his nest mound upstream. It may still be early as my cement pond attendee has not moved stones yet. Several pods of Yellow Perch where feeding in the downstream backwaters, the river here seems as if it becomes a wide flowing lake. I have seen Shad screaming by downstream but today's time, distance and visibilty did not allow for any quality distant shots so i eased back upstream. I did find this Sculpin perched on a branch at the head of the River Chub pool. Upon closer inspection on my monitor i see crisp, round, white spheres on his body. What are they?

Conasauga

With the sun set high above we headed south to the Conasauga to a convenient place i have permission to access the river. The water here was near crystal clear as well, a probable result due to the lack of rain for the past 2 weeks.

aConasauga-Speckeled.JPG

Entering the water the Speckled darters were most impressive, vivid blue and perching on rocks to proclaim their territory. Females were plain and plump with ripe eggs. I soon saw the Bridled, Bronze and Blackbanded Darters and again had to refine my eye to catch their differences, as when young they can be difficult to seperate apart. I saw no high males except for a couple stunning and frosty white glazed Blackbandeds which i had never seen in such condition before. About this time Jeremy's camera quit snapping pics and i was feeling techno hexed. A striking pair of Southern Studfish, male and female cruised by, headed upstream, probably to a quiet sandy pool for some procreating. A lamprey was dead centered to a Hogsucker's concave head. A new darter was chasing his beloved along a submerged log. I felt empty without my camera. I got over to the Drum and Redhorse pool and caught a 3 legged Slider for Jeremy to see and hold. Her mate, 4 legged, was just upstream hunkered under a snag. River Reds were stacked back in the eddy, the nervous Drum, they know me well, not yet arrived this season to panic the River Reds away from my quiet observations. Another lamprey was seen, this time on the side of a smaller Redhorse. I never, ever want to see one of those dangling from my thigh. It's a good thing to wear a wetsuit sometimes.
Just downstream i found a solitary lamprey and dang suprised if i did not catch it, but near choked and gagged to exhaustion in the effort. Slippery, squirmy beasts, i finally got to the bank with it clasped to my chest for a closer looksee with Jeremy. I cant tell the species apart but surely with all the adhesions we saw today, this one was a parasite as well.

The sun was dropping below the horizon so we got out, geared off and dried in the remaining sun. Soon headed home with a stop for Mexican, sans loud karoke, and a quiet evening resting.

aConasaugaBlueShinerBlur.JPG

aConasaugaTricolorBlur.JPG

Before Jeremy's camera locked ( which it also recovered from ), i got a few blurry shots of some of the finer minnows of the Conasauga. The Blues had a proud high male among them and some of the Tricolors were well flagged. I did not see any tuberculed Bamas, nor evasive Riffle Minnows. Plenty of Blacktail venustas though, but none in their glory. You really need a whole day to seek out all the variety that the Conasauga offers. Maybe a week! We counted 17 species at the Citico and 20 at the Conasauga. This does not include any of the mystery species we encountered, nor keeping up with all the various sunfishes. Jeremy got to see an upstream cruising Gar, which is always a fine treat. He said this was a perfect capstone to his 2 week SE snorkel. Its a fine start to a new season and i will work hard at refining my techniques and playing with all the iso, exposure, zoom and macro settings for better pictures to share.

Edited by Casper Cox, 20 April 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#2 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

Beautiful photographs and I really appreciate the commentary. It was super cool / gross to see those lamprey in action.
Thanks so much for sharing this!

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

What a treat, Casper! Great photos of beautiful animals, and interesting commentary to boot!

#4 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

Great photos, great commentary and amazing post. Thank you for that. =D>

#5 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

Nice report and photos! Those stripe-necked musk turtles are just too cute and that gilt darters coloration is making my eyes bleed. And what a wonderful capture of the striped shiner with the Ichthyomyzon lamprey. Thanks for sharing; keep the reports and photos coming!

Blake

Edited by blakemarkwell, 20 April 2010 - 09:00 PM.

#6 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

Good stuff Casper! I really enjoyed the darter pics and that lamprey shot is pretty nasty. There are so many reasons I would never want to be a fish!

#7 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

Casper this is awesome! I was saddened you were unable to make it to MO but it appears you experienced much of the same within the underwater world and closer to home. Witnessing those sparring battles is quite the glorious site and well worth cold chills. I couldn't imagine the chromatophore flashing with snubs. Man did you get close to that gilt!

Interesting your cameras soaked up water as well. I had moisture issues with mine - maybe cold water shrinking the seals??

Great pictures and as always, an enjoyable writeup.

#8 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

Great photos Casper and hey...even Lamprey gotta eat!

#9 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

Great pictures and interesting story Casper. I really like the Gilt Darter shot. Thanks for sharing.

#10 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

I know at least one person who is jealous - this guy. Awesome photos, and great write-up. Nice capture of the lamprey on the striped shiner. I wonder about those growths on the sculpin too. It looks like he has some developing on his opercular spines as well. Curious.

#11 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

very nice photos. and every time that i see these underwater shots it takes me one step closer to buying a new camera :)

#12 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:27 AM

Ocoee seems to be improving slightly year by year. I think Ed found gilt darters for the first time after many many years in the earlier 90's and now they seem to be pretty frequent.

#13 Guest_rockpilegawkeye_*

Guest_rockpilegawkeye_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:48 AM

Hi Casper,

Great pics. Which camera make and model are you using?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

#14 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

Great pics and great commentary! Thanks for sharing!

#15 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the nice comments, i have to say it's hard not to be inspired after a couple days like these. For those not with camera, i urge you to go get one. They are so inexpensive now and pretty efficient. But using them is the fun challenge! I like the fact i now have kinda blurry pictures to back up some of my stories and im not so accused of tall tales as before. I still need to refine my photoshop skills though for the good ones. :)
I hope that Bryce will share some of his shots soon. He had a mighty fine pic of Mr. Mudpuppy all gilled up. Jeremy is going to be a wonderful asset to NANFA efforts. His video dedication is relentless and he will soon be back in the SE from his far home in Oregon.
Yes, the Ocoee has been improving over time, though it did suffer a hit a year or 2 ago. Toxic dam sludge water was inadverantly released, taking the oxygen from the water column for a distance, killing a lot of life. This little riffle run we were staggered around is a sweet spot though. Minimal flows would really help this river but the water demands are at a political balance with the rafter's recreational needs. Nonetheless it is a fun and convenient bonus spot.
I would have traded the Morel Trek for MO if i had the gift of forsight, an erratic bad year for the Dry Land Fish these parts. Im glad the MO fish crew had a good time. Bob and the lodge are surely a fine host.
My camera is an Olympus Stylus 790SW. Several snorkel members have similiar models. I think Lance's has TOUGH stamped on it which is the step up from mine including megapix rating. A bonus is they are drop / jar resistant from about 5'. Batteries last pretty well, i use 2 now per day and recharge them at night. Digital cameras have advanced a lot since my old, clunky, sluggish Nikon CoolPix.

Now who is going to provide the first shot of a lamprey feeding on a humanoid?

Todd showed me the light of enhancement with his photoshop skills. I've created a side by side camparison to show all of you how much he can improve images, removing the color filtering washout caused by the water, especially in those distant shots. My camera offers sevreal underwater settings but i have not had much success with them as of yet. One really needs a chart to write what your doing, as your doing it, for future reference. Still lots to learn and see.

Attached Images

• CiticoOcoeeConasauga.jpg

#16 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

At the next more traditional NANFA Conference, Jeremy Monroe of Freshwaters Illustrated and I would like to run a whole day "seminar" on underwater photography, where we spend the morning collecting images during a snorkel and then return to the hotel for the rest of the day for the technical interpretation of our work. Would people be interested in doing this? I keep meaning to put together a webby thing here in GIMP, which is free, but I just can't seem to find the time to do it. There's no reason to have the properties of water and sediment rob the interpretation of these fishes! :)

This really is phenomenal work Casper. That picture of that gilt darter should be on the next cover of Fishes of Tennessee. I am SO jealous of those of you so close to such good conditions for photography.

Todd

#17 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

At the next more traditional NANFA Conference, Jeremy Monroe of Freshwaters Illustrated and I would like to run a whole day "seminar" on underwater photography, where we spend the morning collecting images during a snorkel and then return to the hotel for the rest of the day for the technical interpretation of our work. Would people be interested in doing this? I keep meaning to put together a webby thing here in GIMP, which is free, but I just can't seem to find the time to do it. There's no reason to have the properties of water and sediment rob the interpretation of these fishes! :)

Ooooo! I need to see something like this!

#18 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

Here are more photos of Citico and Clear Creek.

buffovum-1.jpg
Buffalo eggs
buff1.jpg
buffalo
buffmale-1.jpg
More buffalo
sal1-1.jpg
Mudpuppy

From Clear Creek, a trib of the Obed River.

lp1-1.jpg
Logperch
pa4-1.jpg
Tangerine darter

#19 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:41 AM

Bryce,

That's no logperch -- you just got the best uw photo I've seen of an olive darter to date!

cheers,
Dave

#20 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

Bryce,

That's no logperch -- you just got the best uw photo I've seen of an olive darter to date!

cheers,
Dave

Dave,
Thank you, I've got to actually open the reference books from time to time instead of relying on my memory, but I knew the dorsal fin coloration wasn't correct.
Please be on the look out for a PM concerning E. saggita.

Bryce

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users