Banded Sunfish help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

already...assuming i am able to actually catch one tomorrow. i was wondering where i was going to put him. I have a 55 community with dace, shiners, and darters... i was assuming that the banded wouldnt eat any of the fish which are much larger....either i was gonna do that which the tank is heavily filtered therefore creating a stream like tank...or i was going too setup a 2 gallon tank (if thats big enough for one fish) the thing i also had a question about is that i have seen other people keep their pygmy or bandeds in tanks with no aeration nor filtering...i was gonna ask how is this possible and will this work with the 2 gallon? i was also gonna by a big rubbermaid tub and try some sort of pond thingy like mikez is doing (thanks for the inspiration) what should i use for filtration and aeration? i always assumed with no filter fish would die from toxicity or something. so i would like some great advice from people that have done this scenario. thanks everyone!

#2 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

already...assuming i am able to actually catch one tomorrow. i was wondering where i was going to put him. I have a 55 community with dace, shiners, and darters... i was assuming that the banded wouldnt eat any of the fish which are much larger....either i was gonna do that which the tank is heavily filtered therefore creating a stream like tank...or i was going too setup a 2 gallon tank (if thats big enough for one fish) the thing i also had a question about is that i have seen other people keep their pygmy or bandeds in tanks with no aeration nor filtering...i was gonna ask how is this possible and will this work with the 2 gallon? i was also gonna by a big rubbermaid tub and try some sort of pond thingy like mikez is doing (thanks for the inspiration) what should i use for filtration and aeration? i always assumed with no filter fish would die from toxicity or something. so i would like some great advice from people that have done this scenario. thanks everyone!

I assume you are talking about banded, not black banded sunfish . . . here on Long Island they are found in ponds or slow moving steams. These tend to be soft water, lots of oak leaves,
sandy substrate, wood. I don't think they would do well in a fast water stream type set up, such as for most darters. I also think they would be out competed for food with dace and shiners.
Do you find them with killifish in your area? That might make a suitable tank mate. Good luck!
- Jan

#3 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:02 PM

I assume you are talking about banded, not black banded sunfish . . . here on Long Island they are found in ponds or slow moving steams. These tend to be soft water, lots of oak leaves,
sandy substrate, wood. I don't think they would do well in a fast water stream type set up, such as for most darters. I also think they would be out competed for food with dace and shiners.
Do you find them with killifish in your area? That might make a suitable tank mate. Good luck!
- Jan

well i went out today...check 7 or 8 ponds where they are suppose to be...found nothing. i did catch some nice killis today. im actually researching right now and checking another part of the state as soon as i am done.

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

Scoop your net through the leaves and weeds and up under overhanging banks. Scoop alongside logs and rocks close to shore.
In my best banded pond you could net all day long and not see one if you don't do it right. They are there, trust me. Not easy until you get the knack.

My filterless tanks and my outside tub have lots of plants. Lots of light and sun and constantly removing moss, duck weed and algae. When you throw away the greenery, you throw away the waste.

If you don't find a spot near you PM me and I'll set you up.

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

well i caught four bandeds today!!!! they are awesome! im gonna make a trip report...maybe

#6 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:22 PM

well i caught four bandeds today!!!! they are awesome! im gonna make a trip report...maybe

I look forward to seeing your report, I always look forward to New England reports.

I am debating making a report for my trip, I mixed sampling with fishing, sadly I didn't get fish sampling (but took pictures of a crayfish, a clam, and an aquatic plant) Fishing i had some luck with.

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

ok I would like some help setting up a 5 gallon plastic tank. I am going to go collect sand for the bottom...i have numerous plants i can plant in the substrate. the tank will be in my garage. All my filters are to large for the tank. So i wanted to go filterless and without aeration. I was gonna add the 3 little banded killifish as well as the 4 banded sunfish. I know this is overstocked. but it will be temporary. i just dont wanna come to feed them one day and they all died of lack of air. how many water changes should i do a week? I have well water so its very simple to do a water change out there. thanks

#8 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

here is the tank. its still muddy. i have it outside waiting to settle before i add anything. i have some plants in there right now. whats scaring me is look at the top layer....is that just silt? im scared about using waterways that may have oil in it!

Posted Image

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

duckweed for their tank

Posted Image

lunch
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users