Central Mudminnow Hunt In Massachusetts

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

well today I went out in search of a mudminnow. I knew that chances would be slim to none. If you know mass fish at all then you know this...i would say that i gave 70% effort and that may have resulted in why i didn't catch any. I had alot on my mind. and i didn't lift up some tires that were in the water....and it was very muddy....enough excuses...there shouldn't be any excuses...i did the research and had good spots were they were collected in Mass. The habitats looked perfect so I will be checking again. The weeds were not present and it seemed like it was more rocky....but they are there....i took some pics so people could see the scenery at least. Every time i go out to try and collect them i will update this thread. if i had a partner i probably would have given a higher effort...did i mention it was cloudy/raining/cold? haha. i feel like a failure! but.....ill be back

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

well i went out again today....and again nothing...where do mudminnows go when there are not weeds? i think im gonna need a partner next time....the thing is its not like a brook they are in...its a river which gets deep so im limited to what i can dip-net in. this time i gave 100% effort. im convinced they arent there

#3 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

well i went out again today....and again nothing...where do mudminnows go when there are not weeds? i think im gonna need a partner next time....the thing is its not like a brook they are in...its a river which gets deep so im limited to what i can dip-net in. this time i gave 100% effort. im convinced they arent there

Not weeds? Hmmm. Well piles of dead vegetation would be the next best place but if you don't see any green stuff in the water, I might think you're in the wrong spot. In early spring in Illinois (a month or longer ago), I find them in water so shallow, it's occupied by terrestrial vegetation and not usually much deeper. These locations are almost always heavily vegetated and even in the dead of winter are full of cover due to dormant vegetation. If I were you, I would not even bother sampling an area for Central mudminnow unless obvious signs of abundant vegetation were present.

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

hmm...man....well they arent native to mass. i did find documents that they were collected by the DPW (28 within 1.0 miles of sampling) and i went to the exact same spot. maybe i should actually check in the small pools that arent connected to the river? is that possible? there was a lot of what i call skunk cabbage...so maybe they are in those pools? i searched a fed pools that were cut off from the river that was full of algae and other decaying stuff....only caught crayfish.. the sampling is from 2004....they have to be there.

Edited by bumpylemon, 30 April 2010 - 07:49 PM.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:31 PM

They seem right at home in water that does not flow (or such gentle flow it's not recognizable). I would also say they appear to resent too much flow. Pools off of the main river, that do not dry out and are heavily vegetated seem like a fine choice. I see a lake or pond in one of the photos. Is that perhaps the location and did you see lots of veg there? Finding introduced fish isn't always that easy and Central mudminnows don't strike me as a "riffle runner" to find new marshes. I guess I'm trying to say that you might have to find very specific information to find them since you might not have lots of habitat they prefer to expand their range.

#6 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:49 PM

Nah the lake actually feeds the stream they are in. There weren't lots of weeds. The weeds are just starting to come back. The info I had was very specific. Its the only report online I could find. And it tells exactly where to go. Hmm ill give it one more shot. But I search in 2 huge pools cut off from the river (its in the pics above) they are like 4 inches deep max. Full of algae and rocks. No weeds. I knew it wouldn't be easy. I'm ok with that

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:24 AM

Nah the lake actually feeds the stream they are in. There weren't lots of weeds. The weeds are just starting to come back. The info I had was very specific. Its the only report online I could find. And it tells exactly where to go. Hmm ill give it one more shot. But I search in 2 huge pools cut off from the river (its in the pics above) they are like 4 inches deep max. Full of algae and rocks. No weeds. I knew it wouldn't be easy. I'm ok with that

went back today....still nothing...this fish in mass has defeated me...ticks, poison ivy and a stick in the back of my leg....mudminnow you win

#8 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

why dont you stick a minnow trap there, they are more nocturnal in nature so you have a decent chance of getting some that way

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

why dont you stick a minnow trap there, they are more nocturnal in nature so you have a decent chance of getting some that way

that is a wonderful idea. i shall try that.

#10 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

well well well...i went out today....seeing on how i have the next 2 weeks off...i was like lets just give it another shot...BOOM 2nd try....caught my first mudminnow....this may not be a huge deal in the whole country but to catch that fish in Massachusetts it is. it feels so great researching a fish finding 1 of 2 spots in the state it "may" be in and then catching it! im proud. ill post pics when he gets acclimated.

#11 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

here is a pic of him hiding

Posted Image

not much but im just so glad i caught him

#12 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

I caught some little mudminnows 30 years ago along the muddy edge of a pond at Puffton Village Apts near the UMass campus in Amherst (introduced). There was hardly any veg; just soft organic mud to dive into. I scooped a small aquarium net down into the mud wherever I saw divots in the mud surface.

#13 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:01 PM

Congratulations on your find and thanks for reporting the happy ending.

#14 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

well done bumpy =D>

#15 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

I caught some little mudminnows 30 years ago along the muddy edge of a pond at Puffton Village Apts near the UMass campus in Amherst (introduced). There was hardly any veg; just soft organic mud to dive into. I scooped a small aquarium net down into the mud wherever I saw divots in the mud surface.

ya thats the other area that they have been documented in.

#16 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:08 PM

I got one once, in a minnow trap full of banded killies. Small stream, not a lot of vegitaion. I want to try again sometime soon.

How did you finally catch yours? More picks when he comes out. thanks

#17 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

i caught mine by just dipnetting in lily pads...even though the pads arent open yet.....i went there today and had no luck. i love the one i have. watching them eat is fascinating. i just gotta keep trying.

#18 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

here he is. he is rather light. everything in this tank seems very light compared to my 55 gallon..

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

it probably has to go with the substrate being pretty light, the mudminnow looks similar to substrate

#20 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

Good job, you're on a roll!

If you turn up more, you may want to offer one as a voucher. Last I knew there wasn't any for outside the CT drainage. I was supposed to send one of mine but never did and ended up losing them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users