Western KY Darter ID

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BoJones_*

Guest_BoJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

Attached File  Unknown resized.jpg   401.04KB   0 downloadsI caught this darter and would appreciate help with the ID. I would think that his "pearl white" belly would help, it also looks like it sits on two sets of his fins immediately behind the head. They may all do that but it more obvious than the slough or mud darters I have watched before. It was caught in slow to no current creek that feeds the pond river in Western KY.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

It looks like a Johnny Darter.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

I agree, Johnny...though the snout looks a little blunter

#4 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

I'm fairly certain this is a female cypress darter (Etheostoma proeliare).

Blake

#5 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

you might want to consider Etheostoma chlorosomum... check your keys and field guides.

#6 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

I have never sampled the E. chlorosoma population in TN; however, that doesn't look like the population I have seen. The ones in Illinois definitely lack the buccal patch and the overall body plan of this fish looks like the Microperca body plan and not the Vaillantia. You have much more field experience, so I would go with your suggestion, I'm just stating it from an Illinois population.

Blake

Edited by blakemarkwell, 27 April 2010 - 03:34 PM.

#7 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

I caught several of these while visiting my Dad in Pine Bluff Arkansas. It was the closest ID i could get while using Etnier's book, though i was still not positive. They do have a unique body shape, but i did not note how this photo shows the darter "standing" on fins. Interesting. I caught mine in a sloughish area adjacent to a broken dammed stream off of bayou Barthlemew. Also i recall Shad and way south Northern Topminnows, which i still have offspring of.
Bluntnose Darter.

#8 Guest_BoJones_*

Guest_BoJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:03 PM

Here is another picture of it with a slough darter I hope it helps. I appreciate everyones input.

Attached Files

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

Here is another picture of it with a slough darter I hope it helps. I appreciate everyones input.

wow i like that slough darter.....are those readily available down there? id like to get a hold of one of those.

#10 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

E. chlorosoma from that view! :) Nice E. gracile too.

#11 Guest_BoJones_*

Guest_BoJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

wow i like that slough darter.....are those readily available down there? id like to get a hold of one of those.

Yes. I guess so. I catch more of them than anything else. It should also be noted that because I only net one area that my answer more than likely does not reflect the rest of West KY. They are great in an aquarium. They seem to study me as much as I study them. So far they have eaten worms (cut up), brine shrimp and daphnia.

#12 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

What drainage/creek do you sample? I'm trying to plan a weekend trip to western KY later this summer.

#13 Guest_BoJones_*

Guest_BoJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

What drainage/creek do you sample? I'm trying to plan a weekend trip to western KY later this summer.

#14 Guest_BoJones_*

Guest_BoJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

Its actually on a piece of land I own. Its not much during dry times but with this weeks flooding it looks great. Give me a shout if you want to try it or need help elsewhere.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users