Unknown Sunfish

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

Ok, I went out again yesterday and found another sunfish identicle to the one I had found the other day. I was wondering if you guys could help me try to determine the species, as it looks to be a couple in one :unsure: They have the mouth like a green sunfish, but the coloring of either pumpkinseeds or longears (in my opinion). What do you guys think this one is? I will also post another picture of a weird looking sunfish as well (think it might actually be a rock bass fry, but unsure as it looked like an Nandus sp.)

Here is the first sunfish:

#2 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

Resembles a green x bluegill to me.

#3 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

Looks like a young longear to me.
Below is a young rock bass.

Attached Files

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

Well its good to see a few young longears as they are protected in Wisconsin! As far as the rockbass... dead on. Caught one it was about 1-1.5" TL, same size as these sunnies.

#5 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

Warmouth X bluegill hybrid.

#6 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:52 AM

where do you get the warmouth from with this? wouldn't the colors be a little more tainted?

#7 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

where do you get the warmouth from with this? wouldn't the colors be a little more tainted?

I never go by color alone in identifying fish. As a fish taxidermist that studies colors and has to reproduce them with an airbrush, I have seen so many different color variations in the same species it's unreal. The conformation of this fish and the large size of the mouth reminds me of a warmouth but the bar pattern is the of a bluegill. Does it have any teeth on it's tongue?

Edited by az9, 03 May 2010 - 01:59 PM.

#8 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

I do not know as he is back into the river as we are not allowed to take any fish away from the river that is not classified as a "minnow" or "bait" alive. If its dead we can.. but what good is that for the aquarium?

I have caught one each time I have been out.. will check again tonight if I catch another.

Edited by NVCichlids, 03 May 2010 - 03:05 PM.

#9 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

I do not know as he is back into the river as we are not allowed to take any fish away from the river that is not classified as a "minnow" or "bait" alive. If its dead we can.. but what good is that for the aquarium?

I have caught one each time I have been out.. will check again tonight if I catch another.

i would call it a dead bluegill yoy.
soon to be.

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:22 PM

Man you guys are all making some pretty wild guesses on that poor little GREEN SUNFISH. Here are two juvenile pictures I know I have posted before...

Attached File  jv Green Sunfish2 by BZ.JPG   196.24KB   0 downloads
Attached File  jv Green Sunfish1 by BZ.JPG   222.24KB   0 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users