Hi from Iowa

No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

Warning: This is almost identical to the post I placed in welcome to the NANAFA forum but with a few additions... :biggrin:

Hello,

I figure it's about time I introduce myself. Guess my screen name gives away my name. I have been in the fish hobby for the better part of my life, since Kennedy was in his first year in office :-$. I have kept all kinds of fish but specialized in breeding Austrailian Rainbows and Seahorses for a decade or so. I did keep darters back in the late eighties but had to let them go (not literally) so I could focus on Rainbows.
I have now built a fishroom (small) in our basement with the intention of focusing on darters. I now have a few tanks each holding their own variety of darters, Johnnies, Fantail, Orangethroat, Rainbows, Savannah, Turquoise, Blackbanded and Seagreens. The last four are thanks to Dustin. And I have a couple I have not been able to indentify that I bought at a pet store when I purchased some ghost shrimp. The Johnnies have been spawning regularly and tonight I found a couple of Seagreen babies in the parents tank.
I also have several tanks dedicated to raising live foods such as gammarus, daphnia, Blackworms and Moina.
All this is on a central filtration system which is probably overkill but it has a refugium, algae turf scrubber, sand filter and two six foot high towers to saturate the water with oxygen. It then goes through a chiller so I can manipulate the water temp for breeding purposes. Once through the chiller it enters each tank two ways. First I drilled a hole in each PVC after it comes through the bulkhead and below each hole I have a valve so I can control the remaining water to reverse flow undergravel filters that I made. Told ya it was probably overkill but these guys eat alot! For the fry I am cultering Paramecium, Walter and Micro worms.
I had been familiar with NANFA back in I believe the late eighties so I actually Googled NANFA hoping to find this site. Though I didn't really come into the forums that much until I came across Dustin on Aquabid and after he told me some more about this site I decided to join. He's a great recruiter!!!
Anyway sorry for such a long first post. Hope to get to know many of you soon.

Ken

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users