Keeping bluegills some questions.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:55 PM

Well, the frog would have to swim up, and she does't eat that much lol, the fish would be able to eat just fine.. Not worried if they decided to breed or instincts kick in, there will be enough cover for them to hide etc if they need. Also, I priced a 75g today and found it at petco brand new for only 180$, which is a good deal imo, espcially since I'll be building my own stand. So now I'm looking at a 75 minimum, and trying to come up with a nice stock list from there.

#22 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

just adding my 2 cents get a baby or yoy and put it in with your bettas.
my bluegill is in with white clouds and small tetras is is doing fine with no sign of agression
when you get one from that age they convert to flake and pellet easier(my 3/4 of an inch bluegill converted to flake the day i got it in a tank) and I think are more likely to become slightly tame.

#23 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:32 PM

In my 75g I have a 8" Green x bluegill, 2 - 4" longears and a 3.5" green sunfish and they all get along fine. I also will be adding two central stonerollers to the mix. I change 30 to 50 percent of the water once a week, and have good filtration. A 75g tank would be much better since you want a bluegill. It will be able to reach it full size without trouble and you can still stock it with a few other good size fish.

#24 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:09 PM

Hi, killier, what is yoy? I know I've heard it and what it is, just can't remember now lol. Also, my bettas are all in 1g tanks, except for 5 girls and 3 corys in a 10g. Definetly don't want more fish in there, and not a bluegill. A decent sized bluegill would make a meal of them!

Hi wolfie, Thanks for the advice, I've come up with a stocking list it might be a little overboard though..
55 gives me a bluegill in 4 sunfish so I came up with this:
75- bluegill, 4 sunfish (unsure which type yet), madtom catfish, yellow perch, and my ACF.
55 gives it about 9 gallons a fish.
75 gives it about 9.4 gallons a fish.
Will be plenty of plants (dont know if real or fake yet) rock structures etc..

Comments anyone? or should I go with only 3 sunfish instead of 4 in a 75?

How do you folks go about changing your water? siphoning into a bathtub then using 5 gallon bucket for new water?
Do you take your fish out when doing this? I'd assume so..

#25 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:21 PM

yoy means young of year
most of the time around a inch long and what i meant was get a verysmall one and put it in there for grow out

#26 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

YOY = young of year fish

And I use the "python water change system"

http://www.pythonpro...com/nospill.htm

No need to remove the fish.
The python system isn't perfect but it's a whole lot easier than lifting all the 5 gallon buckets I used to.

#27 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:40 PM

How fast do these fish grow? I most definetly won't use my betta tank as a growout, its not filtered hehe. I'd have the tank set up before I got any fish anyway, along with cycled etc. Hoping to have decent sized fish by the end of summer.. So I was thinking 3 inch fish..

Oh, how big do perch get? 10" ?

Yes I've seen the python, looks wonderful hehe

#28 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

my little 3/4 of an inch is now almost 2 inches(note I got him less that a monthago)

#29 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:59 PM

I put 5 (five)- 1/2" red spot sunfish in a 40 gal breeder last Febuary, I had some trouble with fish agression and disease and i have 1 left he (she) is close to 4" or 5" now, this one was the runt of the litter (i caught all of them in the same trap) but was more agressive and ate better than all the rest of them (it ate flakes 1st, and then pellets 1st)

they grow pretty fast

#30 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:05 PM

Good to know, anyone got info on a site to buy perch/catfish/sunfish? I have a few options already but I want to have lots of back up options!

#31 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

theres a store called use your seine net
or fish rod/casting net
or jonahs aqurium (sorry bad spelling)

#32 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:33 PM

Yea except the chances of me finding the fish I want are slim, not to mention our water is feezing. Along with having no place to find them except long long drives to find a good spot. Its much easier to get some online from someone who has better access..

#33 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:33 PM

Hi wolfie, Thanks for the advice, I've come up with a stocking list it might be a little overboard though..
55 gives me a bluegill in 4 sunfish so I came up with this:
75- bluegill, 4 sunfish (unsure which type yet), madtom catfish, yellow perch, and my ACF.
55 gives it about 9 gallons a fish.
75 gives it about 9.4 gallons a fish.
Will be plenty of plants (dont know if real or fake yet) rock structures etc..

I think I'm the odd man out around here but once again I'm gonna have to say that you're overstocked. 9.4g per fish just isen't enough IMO. I mean, you would not keep a 10" fish in a 10g so it should go without saying that you should not do it in a 75g, unless you're a water changing fool perhaps. I will revise your list. First, cut out the perch. They grow about 16". Second, cut out the madtoms. I picture a fully grown bluegill trying to eat those. If you do go with madtoms find the largest species you can, perhaps a stonecat. The frog...I'm not going to touch that subject, you're already set on that. Sunfish...a bluegill and a few smaller sunfish should work out.

#34 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:41 PM

We will need to see with the more liberal people say hehe! Well, I figure I kinda need a bottom feeder to clean up waste.. or so I've been told. Also, its kinda like goldies, first common needs 20-25 gallons, second 10 more gallons, kinda like that. Plenty of swimming room and hiding spots I don't think its that big of a deal..

#35 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

We will need to see with the more liberal people say hehe! Well, I figure I kinda need a bottom feeder to clean up waste.. or so I've been told. Also, its kinda like goldies, first common needs 20-25 gallons, second 10 more gallons, kinda like that. Plenty of swimming room and hiding spots I don't think its that big of a deal..

"Bottom feeders" only eat uneaten food, they still end up crapping it out. Along with crapping it out they produce ammonia like any other fish would in other forms, only creating more waste then there originally was. Thus, if you want a "bottom feeder" for the purpose of cleaning up stuff, don't get one. Only get them if you like the species.
As for the common goldfish, no way would I put a fish that has the potensial to grow nearly two feet in a 20g tank. That's a seperate issue however to what is being talked about here.

#36 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

I think 4 sunfish in a 75, or even in a 55, is really understocked. Unless you have record-breaking fish. Try here:
http://www.ohiodnr.c...ist1.htm#fishes
for some reasonable size estimates. If you have good filtration, and some rocks, plants, and/or driftwood, you should be able to keep several sunfish in there. The number will depend on the species you choose. Remember, to curb aggression, overstock your tank. As smbass pointed out, it's more satisfying because you get to keep more fish, in limited space. Large numbers of fish are okay, as long as none of the fish is too big for the tank, and as long as you have adequate filtration capacity.

theres a store called use your seine net
or fish rod/casting net
or jonahs aqurium (sorry bad spelling)

He probably can't use a net or rod. Most sunfish don't exist as far west as the Rocky Mountains, at least according to the range maps. There may be some exotic introductions, I don't know, but those fish are not supposed to exist in his location. He has no choice but to beg, trade, or buy.

That said, check the Commercial Vendors section of the forum. You will find some really good people to deal with there. As killier pointed out, Jonah's Aquarium has various sunfish. So does KSI Aquatics. I don't know if the sunfish are considered to be game fish on hold at Ohio Valley Natives, but you could ask him. All great people to deal with.

I could probably spare you a couple of central longears. PM me if you are interested.

#37 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

Just to keep this short and sweet. I think If you want to keep a large number of small sunfish in a large tank, all you need is adequate filtration, lots of food and a willingness to perform regular water changes. I don't think overstocking is possible as long as you keep up with water changes. Smaller tanks are different though.

#38 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:25 AM

I went with 4 with the idea of the bluegill and yellow perch being in there aswell, but if the perch is too big I'll take it off my list as sunfish do appeal more to me anyway.

#39 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:29 AM

Large numbers of fish are okay, as long as none of the fish is too big for the tank, and as long as you have adequate filtration capacity.

Though extra filtration helps, most filters that the average hobbiests have don't remove nitrates, the primary reason for cleaning a tank is to remove nitratres. The more fish you have, the more you must clean regardless of filtration. I have nothing wrong with overstocked tanks if people are willin to clean them as needed, I just don't want people to think "well, I have three HOBs on my 75g rather then one, so I don't need to clean the tank often" because those filters won't help in that department. I load up some of my tanks as well, but generally when I give advice I'm cautious and tend to advice understocking because most average fishkeepers aren't willing to preform multiple weekly water changes if that's what is needed. If the OP is willing to do that, then by all means do. Just be aware that these tanks are harder to keep up with and should you slack even a little bit with an overstocked tank you could have trouble on your hands.

#40 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:36 AM

I would cut the perch out. And with bluegill you may or may not have an agression problem. They get pretty mean. I would try 5 sunfish as long as you keep it on the smaller side. Try 1 bluegill with a few smaller ones like longear, pumpkinseeds, and dollars. They will also help to color the tank up a bit. I would reccomend to atleast try live plants. They will most likely be fine if you get them in before they are too big to tear them up. I have live plants in all of my tanks because they help alot to help keep nitrates down.

Chad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users