Stream Plant Identification

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

I collected this one in a largish stream in North Carolina in quite a bit of flow... it was completely submerged and very redish colored... so I collected some and put it in two places to see how it would do.

1. An inside tank with a lot of flow. It is doing well and maintaining it's red color
2. An outside tank with no flow. It is doing OK, but seems to be getting "leggy" and has a lot of emergent growth.

This is it outside in the background of the picture, still reddish.
Posted Image
Yes, there is a melanistic F. chysotus pair in there.

This is the emergent growth out the top of the tank
Posted Image

So what is this?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

The underwater photo is hard to tell, but the emergent growth looks dead on the exotic Myriophyllum spicatum to me (Eurasian watermilfoil).

#3 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

Can't help with a name, but I can tell you that it's not aquatic. Its range extends at least as far south as Charleston SC. I usually see it growing terrestrially near the water's edge or emergent just below the water line. I have never seen it below the water line except in an area recently submerged by rising water levels. The stems are sturdy and hold the plant well erect. It will not survive submerged for long unless it can rapidly grow to the surface. It is a really neat looking plant though, and will probably do well in the setup you've shown.

#4 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

I see what you are saying. Yes, the growth underwater looks quite different almost like it is not a truly submerged plant, and may be something totally different than what I am thinking. BTW, I just realized I meant Myriophyllum aquaticum in my first post :-$ . This still may not be right b/c of what was mentioned earlier.

Edited by UncleWillie, 08 May 2010 - 05:56 PM.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:23 PM

Well, Uncle, if your i.d. is right, I hate that it is a non-native... It adds and interesting color... and you are right zeiger, it does have a rather woody stem at the base... but it has been living rather well for a month inside in a flowing river tank, and not really doing too much emergent growth. I don't have too many plants that do that well in the flow from the powerheads so I am hoping that this one continues to thrive.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_smirgol_*

Guest_smirgol_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

I agree with UncleWillie, Myriophyllum aquaticum, otherwise known as the parrotfeather - which I believe is from South America. It is hardy at least up to NYC, where I cared for a large submerged pot of it in an unheated outdoor pool with no current whatsoever. The substrate was just below the surface of the water and most of the plant was emergent. I tried to grow a few pieces in one of my aquariums at home but it always wasted away... probably from lack of light as that tank was a bit dim and it was coming from full sun.

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

Sorry Michael, but UncleWillie is right. M. aquaticum.

But my, what lovely Micranthemum you have there...

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:20 PM

But my, what lovely Micranthemum you have there...

Why thank you... collected some of that here in Georgia some time back (actually, I think Alejandro saw it and collected it, but it was someplace we were together and he gave me a few strands)and it has really taken to growing on one of my indoor tanks... I just grabbed a handfull out and added it to this outdoor tank, hoping that the Fundulus would spawn in it...

Edited by Michael Wolfe, 10 May 2010 - 02:20 PM.

#9 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:11 PM

Sorry to disappoint, Michael. I have seen this plant in long strands on the Holston River just before its confluence with the French Broad to form the Tennessee just east of Knoxville. I have seen this plant be about 3.5 feet long in very fast flows. However, at this stage it grows much like you have noticed - the thick stems have rather 'puny' growth, while the best green growth is just below and above the water's surface. I have had it grow floating for some time until is puts out roots so it can be anchored. Awesome plant thread btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users