Florida Gar - Outdoor Pond Temp

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

Just looking for some information from the experts - how warm should my 600gal outdoor stock pond be before I put my two Florida spotted gars outside for the summer? Needing to revamp my fish room & I want to get them "out of the way" asap. Can they take high 50's/low '60s if aclimilated slowly? Thanks.

Would love to find some actual spotted gars to stock my 1/4 acre pond. If anyone should know of a source....... I'm located in Syracuse NY.

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:48 AM

They can take low 60's just fine is acclimated over a few days. I'll send you a PM in a bit regarding Oculatus availability.

#3 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:46 AM

Thanks! You're the expert I was hoping would chime in! I just cleaned the pond and refilled it, but the cold well-water refill, the SNOW!! we had on Sunday and the chilly nights have kept the temps down. I have a tank full of feeder guppies and 2 trios of large, fat swordtails waiting to go in the pond as well to feed them throughout the summer.

#4 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

The gar went in last saturday morning. They have been pretty active, especially at night. I have some larger comet goldfish in there (they survived a dump from a 74degree fish bag to 36d pond water this winter). Put in some smaller rosyreds to feed teh gars as they can take the cooler temps. Once its warm enough the live bearers will go in.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users