White Smelly Seed Like Things.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

Ok before i freak out and rip every plant from my substrate i figured i ask here first...on the bottom of the substrate near my plants are these white things. i took one out that was floating and smelt it....its smells like crap...literally. I was wondering if anyone knew what they are and are they harmful to my fish. If a pic is needed i can get one....one of the things looks to be covered in a ball of rotten stuff. sort of like a fuzz as if you lets say left a shrimp or something in a tank to long...has that bacteria look. thanks!

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

????? Picture, please!

Brian

#3 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

pics uploading right now....

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

Cool! I'm still online, so maybe I'll get to see it before I log off.

Brian

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

this seems to be the plant they are from
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

Those look like seeds all right. It looks like the plant they came from might be a Vallisneria?? It would've had to flower and go to seed in your tank, though. Did you collect your sand/gravel yourself? They could have possibly come in there. Before you tear out your gravel, why not just pick the seeds out when you find them? They do look like they are getting fungus on them, which could account for the smell.

Brian

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

yeah i collected the seeds myself. i can collect them out myself. why do the seeds have fungus? ugh.

#8 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

I'm thinking that the seeds have fungus because they're actually from a terrestrial plant. As such, they're not "designed" to grow underwater. The endosperm is rotting, which leads to the smell, and probably the smelly fungus.

Brian

#9 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

I had explosive growth from Vallisneriafor 2 years in my 125 gal tank and never got seeds, they did root and sprout the entire tank though

#10 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

I had explosive growth from Vallisneriafor 2 years in my 125 gal tank and never got seeds, they did root and sprout the entire tank though

is it possible they just need to be dug in the substrate? or should i remove them?

#11 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

You said that you collected them. Did they come from a land plant, or an aquatic one?

Brian

#12 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

You said that you collected them. Did they come from a land plant, or an aquatic one?

Brian

lol i collected the substrate and the plants yes. and they were from the water...lol i thought that was established with the ID haha

#13 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

Actually, you said that you collected the seeds yourself. You didn't say that you collected the substrate and plants. That's why I was wondering about the origin of the seeds.

Brian

#14 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

My fault brian. I meant to say I collected the plants!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users