Black Crayfish

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_yangshuo_*

Guest_yangshuo_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

I caught this black crayfish today in Central kentucky, does anyone know what type it is? I don't know that I have ever seen one that was as black as this one is. I caught several others that were all much lighter, but this was the only black one that I caught

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

Nice.
Yours has orange tips on the feet.
I've heard about another black one in Southern KY that has bright red edges on each scute. This "Black Widow" crayfish lives in underground waters which breach into aboveground streams. I don't know a single other thing about it.

Down here I found a few glossy black ones like yours, but each scute had vivid metallic gold colored edges. This I called the "Happy Hole" crayfish, as it lived only in a place much like I described for the Black Widow, being an underground stream which broke to the surface. The crays were found only in the cave and in the pool at it's mouth. Unfortunately, the Happy Hole itself ( a local nickname for this place which was used as a swimming hole ) was dynamited shut after Hurricane Opal to facilitate the repair of the very nearby bridge damaged in the storm. I have never been able to find any more in the area, nor can I find any specimens of a darter that was also common in that spot but which I've never been able to find in any book. I fear that we may have also lost the "Happy Hole Darter."

I did manage to get some preserved specimens of each to Troy University, but I could never identify the crayfish. The Professor assisting me suggested that it might be a new species, but then he got hit by a minivan and forced into retirement. That was years ago, and I never did do any more work on it.
However, you did ask the right group of people. There are a lot of experts here who can at least pin your crayfish down to Genus, I'll bet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users